Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dubbed this, the "Texas Power Strip". It's meant for running off my generator for the few side-jobs I get going out into the ranches and random repair jobs and what not. This way I can leave the generator on the truck (or trailer) and just drag out this thing.
Not meant to be pretty, since I used all scrap that I had salvaged. Throw in the truck, drop it out onto the ground, nuke it, ain't nothing gonna happen to this sucker. 80ft 4/4/4/8 for the wire scheme. Total overkill for a 7/10.5 kW generator. :D But later on I plan on buying a larger generator.

Eaton Breakers for the outlets.

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
huh, no pictures?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
pic is there, might have to clear your cache or "refresh" your browser.
Try viewing them when not logged into your Google Drive, they don't show up for me either, I get a 403 forbidden "We're sorry, but you do not have access to this page" error.

Aaron Z

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not sure why it's not working anymore. Now I'm wondering if all the other pics I had posted in previous threads also disappeared.

I only use Google Drive to host my pics, so here are the links to them in my photo gallery.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FxeoPz2ZMUZ3FBSM8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xF4SXM21uVQMorue7

The reason your pictures don’t show is because you’re in Laredo.

:flipoff2:

yea, good one! lmao. My other posts do show pics, and I hosted them the same exact way, so I dunno what gives!

any luck? Trying a work-around

Test 1-2-3

Test:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Links work, embedded doesn't aside from the last test pic.

As a non-electrical guy - any concerns or special considerations with how it's grounded?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Links work, embedded doesn't aside from the last test pic.

As a non-electrical guy - any concerns or special considerations with how it's grounded?
Thanks, let me check that last link. So you can see the pic of the four flowmeters?

The whole thing is grounded because of the metal faceplates, so should a hot wire somehow come loose (which I don't ever expect it to) and touch the case, any part of the faceplate, or the floating buss bar network inside, it will immediately trip the breaker at the generator (which is a 30A breaker for the two hots). The hots for the 120V outlets would of course trip the 20A breakers and not the 30A generator breaker. The reason I put 50A breakers in it right now for the 6-50R outlets (as opposed to 30A like the generator) is mainly to serve as on/off switches at the moment. Later when I get a larger generator that is capable of more than 50A then those breakers will be true protection devices that would trip before the generator.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a "proprietary" kind of thing that the internet electricity police would cite for "not being up to code". I basically custom made my own setup inside, where the breakers do not actually plug into buss bars like they do in a typical breaker box, but instead custom made copper connectors feed them (using short runs of 6awg wire) from the hot wire busses that are bolted, but isolated, from the case.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
It's a "proprietary" kind of thing that the internet electricity police would cite for "not being up to code". I basically custom made my own setup inside, where the breakers do not actually plug into buss bars like they do in a typical breaker box, but instead custom made copper connectors feed them (using short runs of 6awg wire) from the hot wire busses that are bolted, but isolated, from the case.
Why not use DIN rail breakers such as: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Low-voltage-Miniature-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B07KNPM6T2

Aaron Z

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They don't have those at my Home Depot, and I had a gift card that I wanted to use up, lol. Otherwise those would have worked great, and to be honest, I hadn't even considered those. Great idea.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeap, special order, and those eaton 50A breakers were half the price as well. I had already stashed a ton of wire that I buy as "leftovers" from my local Lowes. They give away wire remnants at 75% off. One time I picked up about 200ft of white 8awg thhn someone had returned to the store. Got it all for around $12 I think. 6awg not as much, but I'll snag it every time I see it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Not in my neck of the woods they aren't, as in there ain't crap on CL. To be honest, I didn't even know they made these things, lol. I paid a lot less for the materials in making mine that's for sure. The only thing I "really" paid for was the 240ft of oversized 4 awg wire which was 'bout $160 or so; the 8 awg ground was pennies; 12awg 12/2 "romex" I already had; the sq tube was free scrap; #8 rebar about $16 or so.; isolated bus bars about $20 for all three on clearance at Lowes; expandable sleeve $12 Ebay. So all in all I have less than $200, so I have no regrets except for not knowing about those DIN rail-mount breakers; I would have definitely opt'ed for those instead.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts