Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for a while, and searching forever and can't find answers, on Pirate 4x4 or elsewhere.

The ultimate transfer case:
-lever actuated
-2WD, 4WD, and AWD (lockable LSD center differential)
-Hi/Lo range
-Twin stick

The Toyota FJ Cruiser manual transmission case (VF4B) comes close. Everything except 2WD, and the input shaft is for the MT, and I would want to use it with the AT. But, I understand the input shafts are swappable.

The Toyota VF4AM comes close. Everything except manually actuated.

I currently have '07 sequoia I want to put this dream case in, but I would also like to put one in a 5th gen 4runner.

I've already bought a used VF4AM, and a used VF4B is in the mail.

Questions:
1. Can the VF4B be modified for twin stick use? (all the twin stick conversions I've seen from the FJ Cruiser crowd are for the Auto transmission version).
2. I plan to swap in the input shaft from the VF4AM. Any way I can swap over a shift collar or something from the VF4AM to add 2WD operation to the VF4B?
3. Will the VF4B even bolt to the back of a my transmission? I assumed yes, because Rock Solid Toys put an FJ Cruiser AT transfer case (VF2B) on the back of a tacoma manual transmission...
4. Planning to buy the Front Range Offroad twin stick shifter, unless there's something better suited?
5. Which 4x4 ECU to use?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just ordered the Front Range Offroad twin stick shifter. It is designed for the other FJ cruiser case, the VF2B, but both cases are toyota top-shifted, chain-driven. So it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I dunno...
The taco section is kinda slow, but so is the forum these days.
Mine is runnin the doubled verso , I am told it may go outta production right behind the lefty it was cloned after.
They claim using the taco box and adding a geardrive reduction box is just as good.
I've no idea if it is cost effective for them or benificial for us...
Check into the minni truck/runner forum for more threads

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, I am researching the Toyota VF4 transfer cases for a project, like you I am wanting an AWD chain driven case with lockable Torsen diff, low range and 2wd mode also. My preferred case the manually shifted VF4B but it doesnt have the 2wd option that I want but the electronically actuated VF4AM does, have you figured out a way to have a manually operated 2wd? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I am researching the Toyota VF4 transfer cases for a project, like you I am wanting an AWD chain driven case with lockable Torsen diff, low range and 2wd mode also. My preferred case the manually shifted VF4B but it doesnt have the 2wd option that I want but the electronically actuated VF4AM does, have you figured out a way to have a manually operated 2wd? Thanks!
I have a VF4AM and VF4B sitting in my garage. I haven't torn into them yet, but when I do I'll certainly share my findings.

·
Registered
34,274 Posts
Just to clarify, you want manually activated 2H, 4H, AWD, 4Lo... plus 2L?

I'm honestly curious what you find out. I really like the AWD option in my 02 4Runner... and was thinking it'd be an interesting swap into my Tacoma...

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Just to clarify, you want manually activated 2H, 4H, AWD, 4Lo... plus 2L?

I'm honestly curious what you find out. I really like the AWD option in my 02 4Runner... and was thinking it'd be an interesting swap into my Tacoma...
2wd low is easy to accomplish on anything with auto hubs up front, just wire the ADD system up to a switch in the cab. 2wd was overrated and I never used it when I was open and IFS, I only use it now with a front locker, big tires and my steering system that overheats like crazy and craps out if I trail ride in 4wd low.

Point is 2wd low is overrated and I never got why people got so excited over it unless it was a specific circumstance.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I just swapped the Auto FJ manual Tcase in my wife's gx470. The planetary gears for the manual FJ awd case is different from the auto FJ 2wd/ 4wd case.

The Auto case bolted right up to the lexus transmission. One of the easiest swaps I have done. No more leaky actuator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need to replace the transfer case in my wife’s GX470 and I have been looking at 4Runner and gx460 cases due to the high cost of 470 cases. Can you tell me how you setup the shifter and electronic sensors?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finished the fj auto tcase swap. Had to fabricate fork extensions to convert it to a fwd shift but everything bolted up otherwise. It is 1.125” shorter so the rear driveshaft has to extend more and I had to remove an inch from the front one. Hoping to compile a video soon chronicling the whole effort.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
With my install I was able to collapse the front shaft so it fit and the rear shaft had enough travel to extend. I have been running it that way for about 6k. (all road miles). No vibrations at all. Zero fluid loss at my last oil change.

For my forward shift I welded small heims to the front of the shift rails. It works really well & I did not have to split the case. I fabbed up twin sticks that slide into the heims.

For wiring I wired it so when I shift in to 4wd the center diff lock light comes on. I would have to check my notes on the exact wire I used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would love to see a photo of the shift heims and twin stick. I sanded down the bottom end of the stock shift lever to match the fj shifter because I copied the fork pattern from the top shift setup it looks completely stock inside until you actually push the lever to the right to engage low. I grounded two of the old diff lock actuator wires to get the diff lock light to stop blinking but hadn’t quite got to wiring in the 4wd switch to make it think it is in 4wd. If you have any info on what you did that would be great. We have put maybe 1000 miles on it so far. It is very quiet and drives great in 2wd with the front driveshaft turning. We did some light 4wheeling last weekend and everything worked well. Had one minor hiccup towing a trailer with a 4000lb vehicle on it. Going down hill the tcase went into neutral. It required pulling the shifter out and inserting it into the low range side to re engage. Right after it happened I realized that the one portion of the shift gates I didn’t recreate that has a cross over from the 4wd fork to the hi/low fork is there for that exact reason. I was in 4wd to share the load on the front and rear and normally that extra crossover piece will not let the hi/low fork move but without it the load must have pushed it into neutral. We left it in 2wd for the rest of the 2 hour trip without a problem but long term I will have to decide wether to pull it out and add that piece or change over to a twin stick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts