124 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This thing is pretty badass. Really digging the narrowed cab builds
Thanks man. Here's some pics of the cab pinch

I cut out the floor and fire wall and measured up. 18" to take out

Chop chop

And back together

Firewall

Sectioned it so could keep the factory tunnel, and minty Crome go pedal cover:flipoff2:

And tacked it back in. I did tack the stock floor in at this point, but only for a reference, I did build my own floor, but kept the factory tunnel hump.

Sectioned the firewall pieces back in that I hacked the shit out of

All back together

·
4X4 HACK
2,980 Posts
Awesome truck.
There was another Chevy with a narrowed cab on here years ago. The debate on why not just use an S10 cab came up. Yours looks cool but do you think a different cab from an S10, ranger, Toyota would have been easier?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Awesome truck.
There was another Chevy with a narrowed cab on here years ago. The debate on why not just use an S10 cab came up. Yours looks cool but do you think a different cab from an S10, ranger, Toyota would have been easier?
Thanks man:beer: Would it have been easier to use a S10 or Toy cab? Fawk yeah it would've been, but that shits been done a hundred times.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Awesome truck.
Ive been toying with this idea and have thought about the s10 thing but there is less room for tall people. Used to own one so I know:flipoff2:

Plus square body trucks are the best lookin

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ive been toying with this idea and have thought about the s10 thing but there is less room for tall people. Used to own one so I know:flipoff2:

It really wasn't a lot of work to narrow the cab and firewall, could be done in an day no problem. The floor is what took the time, as I used part of the factory tunnel. If I were to do it again I would do it the same just build the entire floor. Took a lot of time trying to match the floor pieces to the factory hump, and finished product doesn't look that great, well I don't think so anyways. But I went with the square body because, 1. Looks better imo 2. Like you stated, more head AND leg room 3. I had the cab already

·
Registered
2,339 Posts

I have a C60 cab with rotted floor that I've wanted to do this to, along with a complete m715 body that would be cool narrowed

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
It really wasn't a lot of work to narrow the cab and firewall, could be done in an day no problem. The floor is what took the time, as I used part of the factory tunnel. If I were to do it again I would do it the same just build the entire floor. Took a lot of time trying to match the floor pieces to the factory hump, and finished product doesn't look that great, well I don't think so anyways. But I went with the square body because, 1. Looks better imo 2. Like you stated, more head AND leg room 3. I had the cab already
Yeah I wanna change some of the cage in mine doing this Id wind up redoing all of it which Im ok with, move the motor back 5"+/-
The cage is touching the outter skin of the roof and Ive got about 4-5" of head room even with the seats as low as they will go with the tubing being recessed under the floor. Leg room i lacking so the rpms go up when I hit the gas. Would prefer more if I could. I dont think Id go 18" like you did but defiantly would see 12''. I suck at sheet metal with the curves so id tube it all out and do flat panels. This will happen when the house and barn go up soon. Not sure the wife is ready for that haha.

To get back to your build and off my presidential style derail. I did find a way to see more pics:grinpimp:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thought Id update this a bit. Been busy with other projects, and holidays and crap, so finally rolled this junk back in the shop and de-thawed it

Ive been having a slight heating issue with it, so thought Id start at the heart of the system and upgrade my water pump. Pretty nice unit compared to the old shitty NAPA one I had on there. I also checked my timing, was quite a bit more advanced than were I thought it was at, so will knock that back and see if it helps with the heat issue a bit.:homer:

With the new pump installed I dug out some old crusty wagon wheels I had and went to work with the beadlock rings Ive had sitting on my welding table for the last few months.

Using some 1/8 round stock to make a safety bead. Us Canucks, we love our 16.5s:flipoff2:

And with it fully welded, ground the one side to act as a ramp to help the tire get over the lip

Then cleaned the wheels up and hit them with some paint and started mounting them

Got a bunch more stuff to do, and gotta get my ass in gear as snowwheelin season is in full swing:mr-t:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
And got tired of dragging my plasma cutter around for the last year, so threw together a cart for it and it also fits my small inverter. And right now its basically that fastest cart in the shop:grinpimp:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Did Sh$t

Decided it was time to tear into my STak o Shit and see if I can make something work until my replacement shaft from TWF becomes available. So pulled the big bitch out

Pulled out and started dismantling it. Pics

Some nice metal paste

Back half of case, wadded up a bit, might be missing parts...

A bunch of Sh$t here that's sealed when case is together, so was like that when they assembled it, looks like somebody tried to pry it apart with a flat head...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Onto the gears, beefier that I thought and in decent shape with a few exceptions

All the gears out

his is the range selector shaft, has all the gears still on it. Here is where Stak tried to remedy the problem as I haven't seen pics of this mod anywhere. They drilled 3 holes and mounted some poppet pins with springs to try to keep the shift collar engaged. The replacement shaft has an elevation in the middle of this gear. Out of the 3 poppets I only found one, all three springs were there so not sure if they got chewed up by the tcase or were never installed...

The range shaft gears are looking rough, this is the 3:1 gear and is the worst of the 2

And the 4hi idler gear on the range shaft:shaking:

On the bonus side this was the only bearing I found that needed replacement

So I have a plan to try to keep this thing in gear after I address the few issues I found. Hopefully will last until I can get a replacement shaft, or another season and I'll be upgrading to a Titan 205

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So with the shape some of the gears in my case are in, and no replacements available, my plan is to mechanically lock it into 3:1 so I have at least a functional 2-speed tcase for the time being. Hoping this lasts the season, Ill be swapping it out to a Titan205 setup.

Anybody have any thoughts for repair for this gear? I was thinking of filling it with some weld and then turning it back down on the lathe, bad idea? or just runner till she fawkin blows...I have the replacement bearings needed just wondering what to do about this. Im at the point were I dont give a fawk about it, but would be nice if it lasted another season..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Got the case all cleaned up and cleaned up and de-burred the gears a bit. I got the new thrust bearings in and got some good synthetic oil. With no available replacement parts Im going to run it, till it fawkin blows

Case going back together, I moved the breather to the top of the case cause the Stak is a better oil pump than Tcase. Hopefully it works better in this location

I wanted to put a site tub on it also. But the drain plugs are British standard thread...wtf? Nothing available in the small town I live in so drilled the center of the plug and tapped 1/8 pipe and used some street elbows

And now onto the Ghetto:laughing: I had to address the issue of the range selection shaft from popping out. I bolted on the shifter bracket, which is beef at 3/8. Range shaft is the center one.

And then cut and drilled some 3/4" plate

And welded on some spacers

And test fit, It shoulders up against the rail, and threaded the nut on. Cant move in either direction. The bottom 3/8 bolt threads into the case and top through the bracket

Im going to make another with bigger spacers to lock into 5:1 if needed. Not ideal I know. Hopefully it works until I can get something else lined up.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts