Pirate 4x4 banner

221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Since day 1 of this thread I've been thinking this build was prime for a V10. I get why the aren't popular swap candidates given size and lack of LS-like aftermarket support but I dig em, they're good engines and make some good power even stock. Looking at the grill on the truck I'm guessing its pre-05 so its a 2 valve motor?

Whats the trans plan? Gonna run one of the 2 4R100's? Rebuild one of them with strong bits? ZF6? Other? Too early?

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Kinda off topicish, but is there a good supply of those trucks for parts up there? I need a long box and a zf6 that doesn't sound like it has rocks in it, and they're damn near non-existent down here.
they are starting to pop up now cheap with blown motor or trans ect. have yet to see a good cheap 6 speed truck

Since day 1 of this thread I've been thinking this build was prime for a V10. I get why the aren't popular swap candidates given size and lack of LS-like aftermarket support but I dig em, they're good engines and make some good power even stock. Looking at the grill on the truck I'm guessing its pre-05 so its a 2 valve motor?

Whats the trans plan? Gonna run one of the 2 4R100's? Rebuild one of them with strong bits? ZF6? Other? Too early?
yes the parts truck is a 2v but so is his 5.4 so that will make it a nice easy swap. plan is to run the 4r100 as thats what he has no so wont have to change anything. he got the truck running but has a miss and he has changed all the coils. for now it will sit and wait till after Insanity fab as just dont want to chance running into issues with the swap when the 5.4 is race ready

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
not much to update other then he swapped out his front coils for some firmer ones and seems to like it better. we went out for a quick test run to make sure everything is good before insanity fab. right at the end of the day the fat ass truck broke through the ice and got really stuck. i was way a head and did not know what happened. when he was trying to get out the driver side axle or ujoint let go. so now its race to find a replacement inner and outer before we leave to go race :homer:

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,248 Posts
It's always something "easy" that causes the worst breakage, it seems. Good luck getting it back together!

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
How'd it do at the race??
illl have to do a full write up and update on both this build and mine when i have a few minutes. For now ill say we both brought the suck this year. He was on the first lap and made it to the first real obstacle and hit it hard and the lower ball joint blew apart and the knuckle came off that was the end of him racing :homer:

·
Registered
84 Posts
illl have to do a full write up and update on both this build and mine when i have a few minutes. For now ill say we both brought the suck this year. He was on the first lap and made it to the first real obstacle and hit it hard and the lower ball joint blew apart and the knuckle came off that was the end of him racing :homer:
I saw some pictures of him on Facebook with everything all blown apart. Looked like an expensive first lap. Looks like such a fun event though I would love to get up there to at least spectate some time.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
quick race recap

when we showed up after driving 20 hours on some of the worst highways ever they had almost no snow at the race. lucked out and it dumped over 2 feet in 24hours but was nasty snow that just turned into ice.

lined up and racing 12 trucks at the same time is just crazy

got to the "undertaker" and thats when shit it the fan. was trying to make it and just kept ramming the front tire into the ledge. lower ball joint blew apart and the knuckle came off

even after braking and being stuck on the trail it was all smiles and helping other racers out.

once the race was over he got dragged out and ran into town and picked up some new ball joints. we pounded them in and put the knuckle back on and drove the truck on the trailer.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Good idea

What size are the pin or bolts in those? Something over 1" right?
yes 1" bolt and welded in and bolted so actually have something holding the ball joint in. stock its just a press in upper with no snap ring or anything so pretty easy for the knuckle to come off when something lets go

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Emf is making Ford ball joints now.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Would have to check on the site, but yes they do need minor misalignment if you ever want to get an alignment and adjust camber, also his are a proper fully adjustable bearing/race setup, granted not necessarily a must have for a trail rig.

221 - 240 of 261 Posts