Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
On the steering brackets, why doesn't the weld go down the cast steering arm all the way?

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
On the steering brackets, why doesn't the weld go down the cast steering arm all the way?
cause the gap was massive and wasnt sure if was better to leave it open or try and fill it. was easy 1/2 inch gap and if you look at the picture of them on the bbq you can see the same gap on the back side in the same spot. like said not really the impressed with them but considering the price i guess they are ok :homer: from looking around if i was to ever do something like this again i would go with the JHF weld on kit over the Artec kit as just looks like a better design

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you have any thoughts on using a -05 and up Dana 60 instead of the truss on the 99-04 axle? I guess it would be more work.

Btw, love the build, one of my favorite on pirate!

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Do you have any thoughts on using a -05 and up Dana 60 instead of the truss on the 99-04 axle? I guess it would be more work.

Btw, love the build, one of my favorite on pirate!
have talked about doing the swap as its a way better axle with more options to beef it up later on. but he pretty much has to stay with the 99-04 diff as truck was leaf sprung up till now and hes running 16 inch wheels and has 5 tires/wheel that are pretty much new and not looking to change yet.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
looking good :smokin:

next time your in the shop can you get some pics of the axle side link mounts?
here you go, just the artec ones nothing fancy

made this sweet roller set up and got the links all welded up and they even got a coat of bro white paint

got the frame mount burned in, sucked trying to weld as couldnt get my head in there with the helmet on or the torch in some spots nicely

he was also able to re use the tcase skid plate buy moving it back and redrilling some holes. its a nice smooth transition from the crossmember to it and slopped up so should work out real well

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
got the frame mount burned in, sucked trying to weld as couldnt get my head in there with the helmet on or the torch in some spots nicely

Are you at all worried about your link wollering out the these holes? Maybe it's just the angle of the picture but there doesn't seem to be much meat between the holes.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Also can’t wait to see more on the plan b Ford thread
should be some updates on my build before end of the year, just waiting on buddy to machine the parts i need for my coil overs then can get back to working on it.

Are you at all worried about your link wollering out the these holes? Maybe it's just the angle of the picture but there doesn't seem to be much meat between the holes.
If the bolts stay tight it should never be an issue.
as long as the bolts are tight i dont see an issue at all, plus running a hard washer on both sides of the bolt

Looking good
thanks man, he worked on it the other night and got a set of ebay F150 headers to fit and lucked out and only broke 1 stud. he figured now was the best time to do it before we stick coil overs and tube work in the way of getting in there

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
ebay headers for a F150 that he made work on the Superduty. he said he had to beat one tube a bit to clear the motor mount and fill the egr tube plug but other wide no issues and looks like the stock Y pipe will work as well. might make a new one anyways as the stock one has way to many bends and goes all over the place for some stupid reason

he was working on getting the coil over mounts figured out last night. looks like there will be enough clearance between the frame and the coil when the diff swings. the driver side is real close to the master cylinder, like cant have more then 2 threads sticking out the nut to clear close :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)
he finished up the coil over mounts and even braced the back side of them to the frame. coil over gets close to the frame at full drop but can still get a pinky finger behind them. over the motor brace is in too and clears the intake and everything else as well

got the truck off the stands and looks like i guessed right on coils as sits pretty level with 1 inch of preload on the coil overs

front bumper back on and looks like just need a small trim to clear the tires now that the front diff is 3" forward

and i had a few mins so cut some tube for the exo so could start figuring out the rest

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
so hes been hard at it and got lots done, all new brake lines and fuel lines. built a new exhaust as well and it changed the sound of it for sure, he likes it but im giving him a hard time as doesnt sound like the welfare anymore :laughing:

with a bolt check and a once over he was able to back it out of the shop and go for a drive around the block before the holidays and seems like everything is good to go and working like it should. so then he got started on the cage. working on this truck just sucks as it was in an accident so nothing is straight so have to do everything by eye as the cab is not on the frame straight and the frame is not straight. the one side of the truck is an easy 1/2 inch or more off from the other side. so makes doing tube work fun as cant just make both side the same. he got most of the cab cage done and welded up, went a little crazy on the roof and also just pushed the sheet metal down to make it fit and same with the cab :homer:

121 - 140 of 261 Posts