Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
Just finished it. I liked it overall, but the casting is way off from the games, which will turn some people off, and the unnecessary jumping back and forth through time will confuse a lot of people who are new to the world and it's lore. Basically it feels like it was made for fans, so people just jumping in might have a hard time understanding everything that is happening.
Just finished it, It feels like a 8 hour long movie more than a series. It starts pulling the jumps 10-30 years back and forth together later on. If you like the medieval/fantasy genre, then it's a good watch.

·
Dirt Engineer
505 Posts
gave up after ep.4. Too much time spent on the wicked chick witches and not enough time with the namesake of the show.

·
Unregistered User
9,026 Posts
I like it a lot more than I was expecting, but I think they're doing too much fan service and it's going to turn a lot of people off early on who aren't familiar with the series already.

I wasn't sure about Henry Cavill being cast in it, but they really nailed it down to the voice to the point it almost feels like they're using audio from the games. :laughing:

Currently on episode 5 or 6, I watched a bunch of them last night. I hope it does well enough to at least complete a major story arc. It sucks getting into these Netflix shows and having them end in 1-3 seasons. Daredevil and Punisher were both fantastic and ended way too early.

·
Unregistered User
9,026 Posts
gave up after ep.4. Too much time spent on the wicked chick witches and not enough time with the namesake of the show.
It's because they're integral to the overall plot and both Trist and Yennifer are heavily involved with Geralt later on as well as the mages in the world in general. The story is a lot bigger than just Geralt, he's a major player in the story more so than the story being centered on just him.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
i've logged a few hundred hours on Witcher 3 when i was on Chemo and radiation plus surgeries.

i am looking forward to this.

....does that make me a nerd?

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Witcher 2 and 3 are on Steam, on sale, for peanuts. Pulled down 2, last night to give it another try. Played the shit out of 3, with and without Nexus Mods, for the last couple years. But 2's controls, on PC, used to drive me nuts. I'll give it another spin.

Apparently, since the TV show came out, there's more people playing 3 on Steam, than are playing RDR2! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Spoiler:

The show is called the witcher but he's not the main character in the actual saga, just one of them. Ciri is the true main character and the entire story revolves around her, and she gets trained as a witcher. Think Arya from game of thrones, but way more bad ass and skilled in every aspect, plus magic... The first season is leading up to the main saga, its not the actual main story. The last episode sets up the rest, and since season two is green lit already we can assume the story transitions into a linear telling of the rest of the story. The first two books do the same time jumps and are all over the place basically because they are just a collection of short stories, but they follow the characters without going as deep into the witches back stories. The show is diving deeper than the books into Yen, but they do talk about the history and the women play a major part in the rest of the story so its cool to see the history and a little more detail than the books delve in to.

·
E. Spengler
3,825 Posts
Never played the game or read the books but I'm sort of enjoying it so far. Lots of gratuitous nudity and the proper amount of gore.
Same.

Just finished e3. The time jumps are annoying- "Oh, wait a minute...so that was 30 years ago?" Not confusing, just annoying.

The "men are evil" is layed on a bit heavily.

·
Dirt Engineer
505 Posts
It's because they're integral to the overall plot and both Trist and Yennifer are heavily involved with Geralt later on as well as the mages in the world in general. The story is a lot bigger than just Geralt, he's a major player in the story more so than the story being centered on just him.
Spoiler:

The show is called the witcher but he's not the main character in the actual saga, just one of them. Ciri is the true main character and the entire story revolves around her, and she gets trained as a witcher. Think Arya from game of thrones, but way more bad ass and skilled in every aspect, plus magic... The first season is leading up to the main saga, its not the actual main story. The last episode sets up the rest, and since season two is green lit already we can assume the story transitions into a linear telling of the rest of the story. The first two books do the same time jumps and are all over the place basically because they are just a collection of short stories, but they follow the characters without going as deep into the witches back stories. The show is diving deeper than the books into Yen, but they do talk about the history and the women play a major part in the rest of the story so its cool to see the history and a little more detail than the books delve in to.
Clearly they are catering to the fans of the books and games. For those of us not geeked out on it and looking for an entertaining storyline, well....

I get that the chicky witches are important to the storyline, but those scenes fricken drag on and on slathered with boredom. I have no investment in cross checking story with books or whatever. I don't need to drag through boring painful episodes hoping for a return of a better character for a few fleeting moments.

·
E. Spengler
3,825 Posts
That gold dragon was terrible. SyFy level terrible. CG model pasted on top of footage with zero lighting reference from the scene. Talking in a regular-guy voice- without the CG mouth moving. Gross.

Oh, and FlamethrowerBattleBehemoth burned one guy, then stood around and watched the whack-fest. That's dumb in-universe.

And Witcher and his girlfriend used ONE smoochy magic-blast, then went back to knife fighting. It would have taken one 7-second throwaway line about "magic/delicate egg", but they didn't bother. Saved a bunch on the effects budget, though.

My wife says "Why's Legolas in Game of Thrones?" :laughing:

Ugh. I want to like this show, but it's failing to ride the fence between GoT and Xena.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Never read the books or played the game...

Gonna give this shit a whirl now that I’m done with Watchmen.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
I started but immediately lost interest when the giant spider and the Witcher were fighting completely submerged in 2' of water and not even a ripple.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
They will do 10 seasons of this shit show, but they cancel all the good scifi after one or two seasons? What is wrong with ppl? Don't answer that.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I started but immediately lost interest when the giant spider and the Witcher were fighting completely submerged in 2' of water and not even a ripple.
Careful with that imagination of yours, it might get you in trouble :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
Careful with that imagination of yours, it might get you in trouble :flipoff2:
Sorry, I have ADHD or what ever the fuck it is. If you can't dazzle me with great acting and a fast pace story line you better pay attention to detail. The Next scene at the bar was another nail in the coffin. Girl next door looking chick stops certain bar brawl with a sassy nag, then pounds pint? She was clearly the wrong actress for this part. I have to assume it's one of those shows where casting is just "equal opportunity driven". The writing appeared to be sucking too. I'll pass.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts