Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Back calculate a Corman or any other old B movie to todays prices. $10M is actually cheap for a CGI and on location filming requiring constructions and such.

I hadnt looked but where is it "filmed"? Obviously not the back lot in Hollywood...:D

They do the series Yellowstone about 60 mi S of where I live and its "as is" filming its a bit cheaper even with Costner in a main role. Funny given it supposedly takes place on a res near the Yellowstone R. Theres no res near by (N of the I90 corridor and 30 mi from Missoula roughly to confederated tribes maybe) and the river used is the Bitterroot. :laughing:
They were all over the place. Canary islands, Budapest, Poland, England stages, etc.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Wifey & I enjoyed it, seemed to find it's footing pretty good right out of the gate. Will watch next seasons :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Watched it this weekend, never heard of the books or video game before. It was ok I guess I would watch more if I happen to notice when the next season comes out.
In the end this is my thought as well. Some good, some bad, it makes the grade for “turn the brain off and relax” time.

I’ll watch more seasons when I get around to it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
I liked it. The attempt to be game of thrones is pretty shallow, and the CGI is just absolutely horrible, but overall it was entertaining. The story has more depth than it looked like after the first episode.
Yea the main story hasn't even started either. Everything that has led to the season finale happened separately in the books and was tied together for the show, now the fun starts.

·
Registered
17,364 Posts
I liked it. The attempt to be game of thrones is pretty shallow, and the CGI is just absolutely horrible, but overall it was entertaining. The story has more depth than it looked like after the first episode.
It's not attempting to be GoT, the whole politics angle is part of the story and predates any of Martin's books. It's trying to do a lot of things in my opinion, but be GoT is not one of them. It's pretty far from GoT, honestly.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Uh the sword fighting is some of the best on tv ever. Watch the last fight sequence in the first episode.
That scene is a stand out.

It's clear from that Henry has had a decent coach and the choreographer did a great job using real world sword physics in the fight. Only quibble I have is the trend (in everything) that the good guy reverses his sword to "be a bad ass". Anyone who has ever fought with a sword and didn't want to die wants their defense as far out in front of them as possible to engage their opponents threat as early as possible.

The rest of the season the fights are luke warm. I was hoping for more of the caliber of that first fight. The fight defending the Hedgehog was OK.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts