Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 99 24v dodge truck right now, i love it but i want a 12v, i yurn for a 12v:shaking:

I have been looking into sellin my current truck and buying a cheaper truck and building it up.. Buying diesel sucks but if i didnt have a truck payment, it would suck less:flipoff2:

I have always (well since 99:flipoff2:) loved the coveted '99 4dr short bed chevy trucks. they give me major wood..

You can see where this is going... I have found a few 2-3 trucks for sale, they are all 4x4, 454, auto and in the neighborhood of 5-9k. I did find one 2wd with a 350 about a year ago but it wasnt a good time to buy for me..

My dad has a 98 chevy with a 454 which isnt horrible on gas but it's deffinatly worse than my current CTD. I do tow quite a bit..

i guess my questions are, is it going to be a major pain in the ass to ditch the vortec wiring??

will a 6bt even fit under the hood of a older 88-98 chevy??

anyone have any estimate of a running 6bt, nv4500 and t-case??? keep in mind i'd need everything, turbo, IC, clutch...

I have ~11K in my current dodge, if i could find a chevy 4dr for 7-9K i could sell the running gear out and put it towards the 12v motor.. I know this probably wont save me a lot of money, if any at all but i would be doing it a piece at a time and hopefully i could have it swapped and finished before i died:laughing:

Is this even a logical idea?? anyone swapped a cummins into one of these trucks??

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I guess I'm just too old... or just don't "get it" any more.. But why do so many people (not specifically you - just a general observation) want yet another project? After playing, I like the simplicity and reliability of "getinturnthekeyandgo"... Meh... I guess I'm crotchety.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
yes several people have done it. I've done it on the square body style.

There are concerns about the IFS holding the cummins for the 4x4 trucks. There are also people who have over 100k on their conversions with stock IFS.

The conversion will cost about 10k no matter how you do it. The wiring has been tackled by several people and they have gotten everything to work. There are several companies that make motor mounts that bolt in.

The 12v drive train can be found for anywhere from 4k to 9k depending on what you want. I got a screaming deal when I found mine and I paid 3k for engine, radiator, auto tranny, and most of the accessories. By the time I had all of the plumbing for mine I had at least another 1500 into it. I would look for a wrecked truck that will give you the most parts.

It's the little things that will kill you. I probably spent 3-4k just on little parts. If you have some more questions feel free to PM me. Also TDR is a good source for information as is dtr.

-ben

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with putting the drivetrain you like in the truck you like and doing it on the cheap. Sometimes I wish i had done it, like when I am writing the check for my truck payment.

Drew from Avalanche put a cummins in that body style suburban, it was in a mag a few years ago. I think he used a solid axle though.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The more i think about it the more confused i get..

It would make the most sense to just buy a p-pumped dodge truck and rob the parts from and scrap the rest..

One side of me says hell ya, do it. it'll be bad ass

the other side sounds like my dad, it'll cost way more than i anticipate, take longer and i'd be cutting up a perfectly good chevy truck.

What to do, what to do?

·
Registered
629 Posts
i don't quite understand... other than the coolness factor why are you spending 10 grand to get 5 more mpg?

warm up the bigblock and go.

do you tow enough that this will pay for itself? (i know that's not the point, i'm just asking)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i don't quite understand... other than the coolness factor why are you spending 10 grand to get 5 more mpg?

warm up the bigblock and go.

do you tow enough that this will pay for itself? (i know that's not the point, i'm just asking)
Maybe I am just be a stoopid noob but this thread just screams sarcasm... Maybe it is just me though.
I tow ~700-2200 miles per month on average. You guys tell me if i *need* a diesel. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Do it. MY 12v has 325,000 mi. on it. Keep the truck long enough and will pay for itself. Try to get the whole truck, I bought my 2x with 150,000 on it a NV4500, and Dana 80 for $7500. A buddy did this swap a while back but used a late 80's Ford. The truck was super reliable. How could a 12v not be reliable? There is nothing like towing with a 12v. :smokin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts