For those that might wonder the cut master 50 spec's are

20-40 amps adjustable
1/2 genuine cut cap.
3/4 severance cap

the cutmaster75
20-60amp adjustable
7/8 genuine cut cap
1 1/4 severance cap

the salesman said "I feel confident that if I told you that the 50 would cut 3/8Genuine-1/2sever,and the 75 would do 1/2 genuine-7/8sever you would be hapy and not come back and call me out"

he said the spec's are "best case" cut spec

what do you think?

o yea the 50 lists at aprox 1700$with a 90*torch 25'long wip
the 75 list 2200$ with the same torch/wip

·
Registered
523 Posts
Never used one, but every plasma cutter in our shop is thermal dynamics, probably 1/2 a dozen 50's or 75's and a couple of big ones. I would say they are a more industrial quality than the ones built by welder companies.. To compare, we only buy miller welders.

Chad

·
Registered
301 Posts
We have a thermal dynamics 50 in the farm shop and I love it. 3/8" mild steel it does pretty well with, its not fast but it cuts it good. It will cut half but its slower than the second coming of christ. The neat thing about ours is I can run it on 220 in my shop or I can take it to my buddies house and plug directly into 110 just by flipping the switch. Parts for the TD we have is a little expensive when you hafta replace the tips so just remember to hold a slight arc and not drag the torch head like my old man does. Oh and the ground clamp on it sucks ass, change that as soon as you get it home.

Later
John

·
Registered
914 Posts
i have the cut mast 50 love it blasts right through 1/4 and up but anything over 1/4 i use oxy/acte

·
Registered
869 Posts
Me and few buddies got a great deal on a used one a few months back. We've cut 1/8" up to 3/4" with it. It'll cut 3/8" all day long and will do a fine job on 1/2" as well. You can even get gouging tips if you want to use it that way. Good machine so far. It seems to have one of the better tip lives as well. I'd keep a few tips and an electrode or two around for when you need them. Ours runs on 220 only.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
we've got the thermal Dynamics Pak Master 100XL in our shop and it's awesome (but a bit overkill for most home builders... Thermal Dynamics is a great company with good customer service :) , unlike Hypertherm who doesn't provide repair parts for their units past three years old...:mad:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Sounds like your sales guy is steering you right. I dont know much about these specific units, but mos plasma cutters are marginal at their rated capacity "genuine cut" they seem to call it.

Try to buy one rated higher than the thickest material you will cut frequently.

·
Registered
198 Posts
bringing up a dead thread.....i have a cutmaster 50 that i bought used and i need new tips and electrodes......i have been searching and come up with nothing.....those with one which ones do you buy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts