Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an MJ D44 from a local yard for $100. It currently has 3.07 gears and an open carrier. My plan was to run 4.11 gears and a spool. This Jeep will rarely see road time so the spool is ok.
I'm on a tight budget so I was thinking of running Yukon 4.11 Thick cut gears made for the 3.73 and down carrier with a mini spool. This will save me the cost of the new carrier and if I decide I don't like the spool, I can get rid of it.
Are there any disadvantages to thick cut gears versus normal gears? The only thing I know is that the ring gear itself is a little wider.

Thanks,

-Joe

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The thick cut gears are for using the opposite carrier of the break for the gears you are installing.

Example.
If you have a D30 with 3.06 and wish to put in 4.11's
The carrier is not correct for anything 3.73 and numerically higher.

The difference in the two carriers is very minute if you look at them but it basically moves the ring gear closer to the pinion for the numerically higher gear sets.

So you can buy and use the thick cut gears to also do the same thing. I have seen more guys do this when they have an ARB or other 500+ locker and dont want to replace it when changing to lower gears.

They use the thick gears instead.

I hope I didn't just confuse the crap out of this becuase it is really simple.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a good explanation of what they are, but I already knew that. What I'm asking is if there are any known disadvantages of using thick cut gears?

Thanks,

-Joe

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have installed several with zero issues. Most of the rigs I have installed them in run 35's or 37's. I would recc. picking up a set of used Rubicon gears. All the ones I have installed have worked out great. Only thing you have to do is drill your carrier for the larger ring gear bolts & make sure you file any burrs off.

Sean at River City Diffs (gearman on this board) sold me my last set of Rubis. Very fair price & great service. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No disadvantages that i am aware of

·
Registered
970 Posts
I installed used rubi gears in an xj d44 that originally came with 3.07's. Great way to go, best bang for buck. Have put about 1k miles on them so far and 2 trail runs, no issues.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have installed several with zero issues. Most of the rigs I have installed them in run 35's or 37's. I would recc. picking up a set of used Rubicon gears. All the ones I have installed have worked out great. Only thing you have to do is drill your carrier for the larger ring gear bolts & make sure you file any burrs off.

Sean at River City Diffs (gearman on this board) sold me my last set of Rubis. Very fair price & great service. Good luck.
I installed used rubi gears in an xj d44 that originally came with 3.07's. Great way to go, best bang for buck. Have put about 1k miles on them so far and 2 trail runs, no issues.
That is a perfect solution, thank you very much. How much do you typically pay for a used set of gears? New from Randy's they are $137.

Thanks,

-Joe

·
Premium Member
5,280 Posts
FWIW - 93-96 Isuzu Rodeos also used thick ring and pinion sets in the rear Dana 44, and 4.10 ratio is very common. A Rodeo should be a lot easier to find in the junkyard than a Rubicon.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
FWIW - 93-96 Isuzu Rodeos also used thick ring and pinion sets in the rear Dana 44, and 4.10 ratio is very common. A Rodeo should be a lot easier to find in the junkyard than a Rubicon.
Good bit of knowledge. I know of at least a dozen sitting in the local yard right now.

Did any of these come with some type of locker? If so, could I just take the entire differential and drop it in my XJ D44? (It is actually a D44 from a Comanche, but it's the exact same except spring under.)

I would expect to pay less than $100 from a gear shop that changed gears on a Rubi.
I just gave him a call, he was fresh out of them.

Thanks,

-Joe

·
Registered
970 Posts
I got mine from a friend, front and rear sets. check with local jeep club and ask around, someone may have a set collecting dust.

Check ebay for buying the used set, when i was looking there was an ebay store that had them for 65 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
5,280 Posts
Good bit of knowledge. I know of at least a dozen sitting in the local yard right now.

Did any of these come with some type of locker? If so, could I just take the entire differential and drop it in my XJ D44? (It is actually a D44 from a Comanche, but it's the exact same except spring under.)
They came available with an LSD. It'll drop in...though the Isuzu diff has an ABS tone ring installed on the carrier. This may/may not clear the inside of other D44 housings, but it's just a pressed on ring and can be easily knocked off of the carrier. They also have a funny flange for the driveshaft, but the pinion is the same and will accept other D44 pinion yokes.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They came available with an LSD. It'll drop in...though the Isuzu diff has an ABS tone ring installed on the carrier. This may/may not clear the inside of other D44 housings, but it's just a pressed on ring and can be easily knocked off of the carrier. They also have a funny flange for the driveshaft, but the pinion is the same and will accept other D44 pinion yokes.
I know a locker or spool will help you offroad, but will a LSD help? If so, I'll just grab one of those differentials.

Thanks,

-Joe

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
What I'm asking is if there are any known disadvantages of using thick cut gears?

Extra rotational weight is the only disadvantage to a thicker gear and its doubtful that is a concern to most of the rigs here on Pirate.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
A Limited Slip Differential will help...but a locker or spool would be better.
The rear differential, ring & pinion and Trac-Lok, is $60 from the local yard. Clutch kit if the Trac-Lok is burned out is $50. Ring and pinion alone is $30 and a mini spool is $70. Both are very within budget, but Trac-Lok will work a ton better on road. Which would you do?
This Jeep will see about 75% off road and about 25% on road. Its road time is heading to the trail or cruising the beach in the summer.

-Joe

EDIT:

Well, I got some input from a guy in the local club. who has the Trac Lok in his TJ D44. He isn't too impressed with it so I'm gonna skip on the LSD. I'm going today to snag the R&P today from an Isuzu Rodeo D44. What size nut is it holding the pinion on? I'm going to try and take as few tools as I can because the Rodeos are WAY in the back of the yard.

·
Premium Member
5,280 Posts
I don't remember the pinion nut size off-hand. Trac-locs work fine for general on/off road, but a locker would be better suited to our sport. If you do any road driving I would also skip the mini spool and go for a Lock-Right or and Aussie locker. Spools/mini spools are fine for road driving, but the lunchbox lockers are just that much better and easier to drive on the road and worth the extra hundered or so bucks.

Also, the Rodeo D44 puts the pinion shims under the race instead of under the bearing like on a CJ D44. When you get the R&P make sure to knock the inner pinion race out of the housing so you get the pinion shims...your installer will thank you for having a reference to start with when setting up the gears.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts