Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
welded some 1 1/8" fine thread grade 5 nutz to some tubing for a link:eek: beveled the edges of both the nut and tube got a nice root pass, threaded bolt in perfect...took out bolt, made second and third passes with same time interval in between(cooldown) threaded bolt in a way then it got hung up, threads were clean, no slag bits or splatter...has it shrunk this much? is this a common issue easily remedied with a chase to the threads?

ive thrown cheater bars on both ends of the links and its fooked....ill get the bolt out...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I was always told, if you are gonna weld a nut in a tube, keep the bolt in it so the threads in the nut do not distort.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I also learned to never use fine thread on my rig as it's just too easy to booger the threads. But I guess you needed to prove it to yourself, what with your name and all.

SeanP

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sean, man, i gotta change my name, my shits starting to look good:flipoff2:

thanks jack, ill tap it...........

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
yeah, I sawthe post about the welding job down in Lodi also. A name change might be in order.

you might just have a tiny bit of weld splatter that is on the thread. A tap will fix ya up.

SeanP

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Bingo!
If you ever weld a nut or something threaded, leave the bolt in it. Goes for just about any fitted piece. If you keep it all together you're less likely to distort it.

JeepinIan said:
I was always told, if you are gonna weld a nut in a tube, keep the bolt in it so the threads in the nut do not distort.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe ill just go get a fresh set of nutz and wake these off...
damn, i learn more on POR in a day then a week at colloge:D:D

EDIT:----> see: colloge, college

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
"maybe ill just go get a fresh set of nutz and wack these off... "

Now that just sounds like a classic overshare of info :flipoff2:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Try quickly heating the tube with the nut in it and then quickly cool the bolt down with ice (dry ice?) and then hit the bolt with the impact quickly. The tube/nut may just expand a little quicker than the bolt and give it a few thousandths more clearance.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Same thing happened when me and a buddy were welding some tube adapters into a tube. 7/8-18 threads, it was fine before, but after it got some heat, the part that slips into the tube, ie. not the threaded part, shrank. And once the TRE got down to it, it was very tough to turn. We ended up getting it in, but we flattened a lot of the threads.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
If you ever weld a nut or something threaded, leave the bolt in it. Goes for just about any fitted piece. If you keep it all together you're less likely to distort it.
Yep, this works for me -- and bathe the fastener in anti-seize an the threads... that will help keep spatter from sticking and will also make it easier to turn out even if you do get some heat-induced dimensional shift.

Randii

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BillaVista said:
What fawkin planet are you clowns on where things shrink when heated and not expand ????????????
your anus:flipoff2:

you know what i meant....

·
Registered
133 Posts
ive always heard things shrink when cold.....like raisens or something...???????

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i kept the bolt in and used gobs of antiseize, 3 passes and it worked like a champ--thanks guys, :beer:s for everyone!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts