Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Piratenite
30,420 Posts
I don’t know how safe it is but sections of axle shafts make good tools in the H frame press.

Back in the day we also used them as anchor points running surprise canyon which somebody had drilled holes in for the purpose.

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
I don’t know how safe it is but sections of axle shafts make good tools in the H frame press.

Back in the day we also used them as anchor points running surprise canyon which somebody had drilled holes in for the purpose.
The pins on my shop press are cut down axle shaft. Had it maxed at 20 tons several times and they seem fine. I figure if they're designed to ride directly on a bearing and hold the weight of the car without bending, they're probably pretty strong.

·
gumboot cloggeroo
1,885 Posts
How about a torque toob axle?

I was checking out the old car we plowed into the bush fifteen years ago. It's upside down and has torque tube rear end and leaf springs.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
How about a torque toob axle?

I was checking out the old car we plowed into the bush fifteen years ago. It's upside down and has torque tube rear end and leaf springs.
Same as any other axle. Tubes are good if you need short sections of thick wall tube. Axle shafts and pinion are good for anything you'd use round stock for. Ring gear welded to something makes a hell of a flange to bolt something to.

Metal is metal. As long as it's got the right material properties and dimensions for the job it doesn't matter where it comes from.

·
Mr. Personality
10,297 Posts
The pins on my shop press are cut down axle shaft. Had it maxed at 20 tons several times and they seem fine. I figure if they're designed to ride directly on a bearing and hold the weight of the car without bending, they're probably pretty strong.
Probably 8620. Plenty strong for that use.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I used an old 14bolt axle shaft as a hay fork for rolls.....plenty strong and I made the face flange bolt up to the backer plate of the attachment.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Years ago I worked in a fab shop. One day the boss was out, but he left me some plans and instructions to do some work on a full float rear housing. As in cut one tube off, weld it to a flange so it could stand up right, make a bunch of bars with keyed holes in each end. I had no idea what I was building....I was just following the plans. The next day I found out I was making the base and rotational pivot for a mechanical bull!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts