Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I searched the toy fourms and got a lot of inconclusive information. About 2 weeks ago I was pulling out of a parking lot which then goes up a small hill. Cars were coming so I revved the engine a little bit and was able to pull out, as I shifted from 1st to 2nd things continued to be fine, when i shifted from 2nd to 3rd my rpms increased greatly with little increase in speed, I then shifted into 4th with the same problem. I let the rpm's settle and slowly engaged 3rd gear. For the past week or two I have been babying it as I have figured it is probably the clutch that is going. Again today while going 40ish when i shifted into 4th I experienced slippage. I again let the rpms settle and slowly let out the clutch. I called today and got a quote and its looks liek its going to be $600 to replace the clutch. My questions are if theres anything I should try before replacing the clutch? Should I bleed the system? What about the clutch adjustment etc? Also how difficult is it to do a clutch install without major mechanical knowledge. The price of a tranny jack adapter some socket extensions and a clutch kit is much cheaper then the $600 price I was quoted. I do have a toyota service manual laying around somewhere but I havnet even checked to see what it involves exactly. How long should i plan on this taking? Is there any common problems people run into? Also when I was quoted the fact that the truck was a SR5 was going to make the labor about an hour longer... why is this? (Truck is a 1992 SR5 4x4 Pickup)

Thanks for the help in advance,
Kelly

·
Registered
22 Posts
if its slipping their aint much you can do besides replace it- the clutch itself cant cost more than 150 i would imagine so if you did do it yourself youd save some serious coin. Taking out the tranny isnt too bad. I belive its like 6 bolts plus two for the starter. then just the cross member and the rest is self explanatory. actually changing the clutch is cake- just take it off in layers and remember how it goes. the plate, the disc, the flywheel. The bolts might be tight as hell but other than that it should be fairly strait forward. as for the tranny jack- ive never used one- just my regular jacks work fine- usually two- one at either end, and a friend to steady it. id say its a solid saturday to all that. you got a repair manual right? haha- you should! they show it all pic by pic- at least in the chiltons they do! good luck man! dont pay someone else to do it! grab a case of beer and a friend :smokin:

·
Registered
198 Posts
When replacing the clutch, always remember to replace the throw out bearing and pilot bearing or bushing and have the flywheel turned and be sure not to tighten the pressure plate to flywheel bolts too tight; they are small bolts and can snap pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Changing the clutch is a big job, but doesn't require special tools per se (a clutch alignment tool should come with the clutch you buy). It took me about four hours to do when I did my first one two weeks ago and it went fairly smoothly except for some rusty xmember bolts. I am not a mechanic, but I have a fairly nice selection of tools, and it went well. A tranny jack is a good investment if you plan on changing a clutch or tranny more than once. Otherwise, just do as said and grab a friend and a couple decent size floor jacks and have at it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
West0n said:
i laughed my ass off at this. If it were this easy, i'd be out of a job.

what are you talking about- there is nothing to actually taking the clutch off- ok- maybe a little strength to break the bolts, but not rocket science- getting to the point of taking the pressure plate off can be tedious, but actually disassembeling the clutch IS cake! noone likes pulling trannys but breaking bolts most anyone could do. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
557 Posts
lol, dude....seriouly if it were "nothin" it wouldnt' call for like 6 hours.

I was mainly just pointing out how nonchalantly that statement was put. I just found it very amusing. AND YES, i do realize that to most guy's on this site, it's nothin.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Did Ryan get you the price quote for that clutch?

If you wanted to upgrade a little you might want to get a stronger pressure plate from Marlin

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have a 90 pickup 3.0 and a 88 pickup with the 22rec i've done both clutches in the last 6 months the 3.0 is a bit harder the 22rec took my 8 hours by myself and the 3.0 around 12 it can be done. The only really hard part is getting the gearbox back mated to the engine without a lift and transmission jack. I've done both with just two jacks. On my my 22rec i used 2 good size rachet straps hooked around the torsion bars as safety straps in case the gearbox/transfercase fell. It can be done in a weekend easy. If its a 2.4 go on ahead and replace the flyweel a new one cost my 55$ at advance and it would have been 35$ to get it turned. Good Luck :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts