Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the weekend going through the previous owners "wiring". Oh, man "interesting" doesn't even come close! Found more wires that start nowhere, and go nowhere, than i ever thought possible. the best part was finding out there were still about 60' of old style (i think) ARB lines routed around the engine and frame. Dual red plastic lines, anyone? Also complete sets of speaker wires for at least 4 speakers running from behind the dash, EXCEPT he ran an amp under the rear seat! More un-needed wiring. Just pulling that out removed about 1/3 of the "spaghetti" that hung over the pedals! Took me 1/2 hour to follow 2 wires from the (dead) alarm all the way across the engine bay to find out they DON'T GO ANYWHERE!! :rolleyes:

So now i think its several pounds lighter, and about 1" further from the ground! :D

Anyone else ever have to clean up a previous owners "ideas"?

·
Registered
982 Posts
yea, my whole damn jeep, the numbnuts that had it before we're about as sharp as a bag of marbles, but that's kinda how it goes when you are workin on a vehicle that is older than you are

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
All I gotta say is try owning a "conversion" vehicle. My 1/2 ton had been "customized" by markIII conversions when I bought it. More shitty wiring than I have seen in a long time.

I used to work car stereos. Circuit City was good for "creative" wiring methods...

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh, this guy would have made Circuit City cry! :eek: He had great ideas, but questionable methods.

I like the fact that the headlights have been wired to flash alternately (code 3 style!), and maybe even that i can have the full, and dipped beams on at the same time. Maybe i even like the switch that makes the lights come on when it gets dark (except the panel lights aren't wired into that, so its useless!). But the mess under the dash is amazing.

To make it even better, when he "upgraded" to a better method, he'd add all new wires, and LEAVE THE OLD ONES IN THERE!! :rolleyes: x2 the mess!

I've gotten all i can out for now, but the next step is to pull the dash, and frankly, i'm not ready to see whats back there!! :eek:

My OTHER next step is to look at the wiring loom under my seat with 8 wires, of which i just realised, only 2 are actually used, for the CB external speakers! Where the others go, i have NO idea......:confused:
Edit: actually, i think that loom may be from when he had a carphone (the old style fixed ones) wired up to sound the horn, and flash the lights when the phone rang......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
my 53 willy's is an electrician's nightmare from hell.

there is no "main fuse panel".

there is THNN wire everywhere. (commercial building wire)

he has some inline fuses..... so not.

he had almost everything ran inside the rollbar tubing

for an "overhead" electrivcal panel...

NEATO little light indicators on everything. (looks like a disco)

and, yes, speaker wiring for about 6 speakers. but no

radio per'se............

whatever.

wiring electrical is actually pretty easy.

you can start the redo by buying a complete wiring harness

from a wrecked truck at a PnP wrecker...... then delete what you

won't need need before you even begin the install....

--now, I just gotta find some time to start the install...

--Sherpa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts