Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy chit, this guy's got some patience...

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/park.htm

Every control is correct to scale and they all work!

Each round machined with 3 components, Brass case, copper bullet, and a fake primer.

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like to think I have the skill to make those pieces, but I can't lie to say I have the patience to do so. I guess if I was paid to do so I could battle thru a few weeks worth, but I've got to think that took months if not years.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I like to think I have the skill to make those pieces, but I can't lie to say I have the patience to do so. I guess if I was paid to do so I could battle thru a few weeks worth, but I've got to think that took months if not years.
After three years and 6000 hours of work on the model, the exterior was completed and the major internal controls were installed.
:eek:

I guess as a dentist he is used to working in miniature. All that time could have probably restored a real plane!

I used to love building WWII scale models. I imagine that when I am old and infirm enough I will stop building things in 1:1 scale and return to them...if my eyes hold out!

·
Banned
4,510 Posts
Wow. thats incredible. I just cannot see spending 6000 hours on something like that.

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you read at the link provided, the dude anneals the aluminum so he can hand form the sheets around wood masters he carves first. He also carved an articulated pilot out of solid aluminum block.

I half expect the planes to start and fly.

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
If you read at the link provided, the dude anneals the aluminum so he can hand form the sheets around wood masters he carves first. He also carved an articulated pilot out of solid aluminum block.

I half expect the planes to start and fly.
Used to work with a weird old engineer who made his own miniature working steam engines (the railroad kind...with the other kind inside). Crazy detail, but nothing like these planes.

I wish I had that kind of time and patience, not to mention skill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts