Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,
let´s first say I´m from Germany and we´ve got no junk yards over here like in the US. So going to a junk yard and grabbing a D44 front axle or even a 9" isn´t possible... A D60 seems to heavy for my type of wheeling, we´ve got no rocks to crawl over here.

I´m running an XJ w/ a Dana 30 front and a locked Ford 8.8 in the rear and 35" tires. I´m thinking about upgrading the front, too. But a Currie/Dynatrack/yadda yadda D44 or 9" will set me back about 6-7k $, which isn´t really in my budget. :eek:

Now someone came up w/ the idea to make a D30-8.8 hybrid axle - using the differntial housing and the axle tubes of a 8.8 w/ the knuckels and brakes of the D30. Resplined 8.8-axle-shafts and an ARB locker would complete the setup. Brakewise I´d lean to the VancoPBS setup.

The price of this setup would be less than a half of the above mentioned 7k $.

Please comment on the idea, any input would be great.

Has anybody done such a hybrid axle before? If so, got any links?

Did I mention that we´ve got no usable junk yards over here? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
355 Posts
it could work, however, you would need the axle re tubed and the new knuckles pressed/welded on. and for a one spline upgrade and a ring gear that is less than an inch bigger.... i would say its a wasted effort. Your best idea would be a supper 30 kit, with chromo axle shafts, supper joints, truss, lockouts and an arb locker. which would be much cheaper than retro fitting a 8.8 into the front end. not to mention, the 8.8 is a LP which like to grab rocks, sticks, stumps, w/e.

running 35's on a 30 with chromo should be fine for your wheeling environment.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you breaking on your front end now?
I´ve bent the axle tubes so they leaked.

And I´ve killed my D35 in the same act of stupidity - the gears lost some teeth and I´m afraid of branking the D30, too.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
can you get D30's? You could try to truss a fresh one well before giving up on it. an 8.8/D30 hybrid would be different, but not worth it IMO. the D30 seems to stand up relatively well to 35's. The balljoints are one of the weak points that you wouldn't be able to elimiate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I´ve just installed a "refurbished" D30 (4.56, axle truss, no locker, axle seals, lca-skids - see below) w/ currie steering and trackbar on the rig, but now I´m thinking if I should get a Super30 Kit w/ chromoly axles and a locker and a set of Warn Hubs or another axle.

·
Registered
27,745 Posts
I´m running an XJ a locked Ford 8.8 in the rear
I´ve killed my D35 in the same act of stupidity - the gears lost some teeth and I´m afraid of branking the D30, too.
and where are you getting the 8.8's??
So where do all the non-running cars go?
I'm confused here...you state you have a rear 8.8....but then state you have broken your D35? I am assuming this broken 35 was a past replaced axle WITH the 8.8...with that said WHERE did you get the 8.8???

sounds like you got some $$$ in your rig...and some knowledge on replacing oem equipment with other mfg's spec'd axles...

WTF are you trying to get rid of here? A Dana30 with 4340 shafts and GOOD Ujoints can EASILY survive your type of wheeling since you have no rocks to "crawl" over

YOu also state the Dana30 is open so there is NO real issue that it will explode on the terrain NOR tires you are running...

wheel it like it is...the $$$$$ spen on a front 8.8/30 combo would warrant the LESS $$$$ spen on a D60 or HP44 swap

:beer:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I´ve bent the axle tubes so they leaked.

And I´ve killed my D35 in the same act of stupidity - the gears lost some teeth and I´m afraid of branking the D30, too.

No rocks? No crawl? Where did it happen? On road?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
OK, let´s explain...

I´ve bought a set of used D30/D35 axles (4.56, DL f&r, chromoly axles) and put them under my rig.

The "act of stupidity" was a full throttle try to get out of a big hole in one ouf our wheeling areas - cought some air, destroyed the D35, bent the D30. The D35 was replaced w/ the 8.8 (DL again, 4.56) and the D30 was replaced by a another D30 (open).

That´s where I sit now.

Sure, we´ve got junk yards over here, but you didn´t find any useable parts for a Jeep, mostly just cars. Going there and telling the counter guy "I wanna a nice D44 from a Ford pickup" would lead to some strange looks. Perhaps he´s gonna offer me some parts of some japanese rust bucket...

Sorry if my posting led to any confusion, english isn´t my native language.

The guy that offered me to build this axle is Mr. Tibus from http://www.killeraxles.com/ which is from Germany so I think he knows what he´s talking about but I´d like to hear the opions of you...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't know where you are in Germany, but when I was there we had junkyards that were around the bases. Ramstein near k-town had a nice one and all the Army post's around the area had them. I still have some contacts over there if you need it.

·
Premium Member
3,981 Posts
buy a 44 off ebay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts