Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am ready for my next trail rig and I am seriously looking into Samurai's. If you know of any for sale please direct them to me. (Or vice versa.) Anyways, I have my eye on a particular one right now, and I want to get some thoughts on it. Here are the specs:

1987 Samurai
spring over with shackles
Mykuni dual sidedraft carbs
Headers
Jacobs omni-pack
tach and gauge cluster
racing seats
full roll cage (4 points into frame, 2 into body)
rear lockright
front lincoln locker
stock gearing
31" A/T's
custom bumpers
new transmission from Perto Works 1000 miles ago
stock engine and t-case with 160,000 miles
custom bumpers
surface rust
soft top
$1500

How does this sound? I've heard that you really need to regear the t-case. It is crap with stock gears. Is this true? It will not be a hardcore rockcrawler but an overall trail rig. Also, how bout that welded front locker?

If I do buy this, I would want someone to look at it for me first. I am in Texas but it is in Colorado. Anyone in CO that could do that for me? Almosa area.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The price sounds reasonable. You've proabably noticed Sammi's are high in TX compared to other areas. Hunters buy them up left and right.

The main thing would be to check for bootyfab work on the cage and suspension. If you cant find someone here to check it out maybe have them take it to a shop with a good rep for a once over.

Tcase gears are highly advised. 4:1 tcase gears should be fine for what you are describing, and they are reasonable ~$399.

EDIT - You wont be able to steer worth a crap with the front locked all the time in 4WD and no power steering. Think about the 2 low mod when you do the tcase gears. Sidekick power steering is a pretty easy and cheap mod too. If the weld breaks, Sammi diffs are cheap and easy to come by.

Have fun. :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Switch the diffs- thats a typo I'm thinking. Good starting point.

Whattaya wanna do w/it? Might be better off buying less sami for cheaper and making what you want. OR it might be fine for what you wanna do w/ just some attention.

·
Registered
377 Posts
doesn't sound like to bad of a price, like they said earlier, it all depends on what your gonna do with it. it is probably a perfect vehicle for a lease, but your going to have to change out your r&p and t-case to do any rock crawling.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
the lincoln locker needs to be in back and the lock right in front . be shure and check out the bootie fab like already stated :flipoff2: not a bad price !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not a bad deal based on east coast market pricing.

What's their reason for selling, not that you'll get the correct answer.

I question the present or long term reliability of the sidedraft, jacobs and 160K motor/transfer case. Was properly setup and maintained?

How will it be transported/cost to relocate?

Plan on expending additional dollars to get it up to snuff.

Tough call without seeing it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
That would be a helluva deal around here.

The hunters and road salt make samurais very hard to come by, and way over priced around here.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I say go for it. you won't find a deal like that in Texas.You'll spend that much for a good stock one around here.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm interested in this thread, because I'm also looking at an '87 soft-top, but for a completely different use. Rather than a rock-crawler, this would be a stocker for my wife to drive around town in the summer, and maybe mild trail use. This one I'm looking at is all stock, with some body-work done around the rear wheelwells, but runs and drives, with 120,000 miles on it. Two tires would need replacing.

The seller is asking $400; he's moving on to other projects, and needs to clear a spot. Is that about what one in that condition would go for?

Would that motor have another 20,000 miles left in it, or would that vary widely depending on the care by previous owners?

Here's a link to a a vid the seller took of it today; about 5mb, so not-for-dialup:

http://home.attbi.com/~katahdin/BlueSamurai.mpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts