Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an fj40 in great condition without engine tranny or t-case but otherwise immaculate. I have a line on a ford 302, t-18, and dana 203 and 205 t-cases.... is this a good swap or should I hold out for a chevy 350? where are the places to go for motor mounts, hangers, etc..... is this more work than it's worth and am I going to spend more for adapters than for the engine tranny t-case ($500 for all)? Thanks all

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I bought a cruiser with the 302, T18 and dana 20. If it's the wide T18, 1st gear is 6.32 and reverse is 7.0. It's a good setup. With a 203 or 205 you'd have the same problems as my dana 20, poor low range and center output. I'd consider finding a Dana 18. The low range is better (2.46) and it has the output offset to mate up to your rear end. You could even use a cruiser tcase. AA has adapters for the T18 to cruiser case.

The adapters can be had from AA and I think they are about the same cost as those for the chevy (maybe more I think they are Mark's). The PO fabbed the ones in my cruiser. He made U-shaped hangers that slide over the frame rails, then used square tube and plates for the factory type engine mounts. (pretty common design). If you have access to a welder or have a friend who does you should be able to make them yourself. You'll also have to fab some type of transfer case support. You'll have to relocate to clutch slave as well. If you can fab it should be a cheap swap, if not you'll easily spend as much for adapters as you do the engine/tranny/tcase. If you want pics with locations of the mounts etc. let me know. Dog Walker can give lots of info on this as well I'm sure.

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Cruiser Ken ]

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Hell run the whole setup! 203 and the 205!
You will need a different rear axle though. Adapters should not cost all that much because you should have everything to go from the engine/tranny/tcase.

Move the motor as far forward as you can so your rear driveline will not be so short!!

Goto Woodys site to look into it a bit more.

Woody's site

·
Registered
386 Posts
if you plan on using a T18 with a cruiser t-case you would have to use a 4 speed case. AA doesnt make an adapter for the 3 speed case.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UI plan on going to a 40 front and 60 rear, SOA of course and dump the 3 inch body lift....don't laugh, I didn't install it. how good are the factory axles on there and would anyone be interested in buying them? This rpoject is still a ways out (several months) but I am searching for info now. I would love to see pics of the motor mounts for the 302...I can fab pretty easily and have access to a welder so that isn't an issue, but I want to see pics of what works. Thanks

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
OK, here are some pics. If I don't mess up the html...

Engine, w/ holley pro-jection

Driver's side mount, and yes I need power steering.

You can see how the PO had to cut access for tightening down the engine mount.

Passenger side, the access for tightening the mount is on the top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts