Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For as long as I can remember I've wanted to build/wheel a buggy. Unfortunately the time to build one and the resources to fund one consistantly elude me.

As I've watched the side by side arena grow, the thought of getting a RZR has grown on me. Now I have a bad habit of always wanting to buy the best of everything which is probably why I can't bring myself to build anything less than a badass LS-powered, 4-wheel steer, sticky wearing buggy, but I digress.

From the window shopping I've done, I keep going back and forth between an S and an XP. Then again, I've never even ridden in a side by side, let alone driven one. Will the S satisfy me and/or will the XP get me into trouble?

My last questions pertain to the purchasing aspect. Is there any significant room for negotiation on these things when purchasing new? or is it basically MSRP? Can anyone tell me if there are typically sales after the first of the year as opposed to just before the first of the year that would be better to hold out for?

Thanks,

Ary

PS, is there anything out there really worth considering besides a RZR S or XP? The arctic cat looks pretty big for east cost woods riding...

·
Registered
635 Posts
They are two completely different animals when it comes to the s and the xp. The s is a dog on power next to the 900 but still has enough to be a blast, the xp is a lot to hold on to but is very controllable. What are you going to be doing with it slower technical trails or full throttle assaults on steep climbs? From my experience I have more seat time in an s though it will do better on the crawling aspect and is better suited for the trails the wheelbase, gearing and suspension all work together for a pretty strong machine. The xp is good at crawling also but the rear trailing arms kill ground clearance and the power delivery makes it not like slow easy going as much as giving it hell. The width is a few inches different as well so if you are in real tight terrain the xp will give you trouble fitting it through but on fullsize trails it doesn't come in to play. It really comes down to preference on what you choose as far as pricing they usually will have sales towards the release of the new model year but the s is more likely to get a deal on since they have been out a few years the demand isn't nearly as high as the xp and since it isn't the latest greatest thing out dealers are willing to budge a little bit to make a sale. When we bought an s in 2010 the dealer went $800 under msrp and 30% off accesories but that was as low as I could get them my buddy bought his xp january of this year and they wouldnt budge an inch but discounted accesories by like 20%.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
In Boliver, MO, there is a shop blowing out new rzr's cheap as hell. Called Hobbytime Motorsports

I like the S on the trails and everywhere but big climbs and open stuff like the dunes. On my track behind the house, the xp is a handful in tight areas and the steering will make you think your arms are going to fall the F off. Really depends on what your intended use is, like the guy above said.
Choose one, put rhino axles in the rear and rock out. Also, if you do go to a dealer, see if they will steal the bighorns off an S and put on the xp if you go the XP route.

·
Registered
416 Posts
We have two XP's, two S's, and an OG regular rzr.

The XP's are basically stock except for different seats, door guards, and wheels/tires.

All three of the others have HCR long arm kits, 26.5" tires, and some other stuff. The S models are slower than the XP's, but the only place you notice is open roads, sand dunes and riverbeds. For technical rock crawling, the S models are better. The rear trailing arms on the XP models get hung up on rocks a lot.

I will also throw out that if you're going with an aftermarket long arm kit, you may as well just try to find a regular rzr on the used market. Save some money over the S model, since you'd just be swapping out most of the unique S parts anyways.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
In Boliver, MO, there is a shop blowing out new rzr's cheap as hell. Called Hobbytime Motorsports

I like the S on the trails and everywhere but big climbs and open stuff like the dunes. On my track behind the house, the xp is a handful in tight areas and the steering will make you think your arms are going to fall the F off. Really depends on what your intended use is, like the guy above said.
Choose one, put rhino axles in the rear and rock out. Also, if you do go to a dealer, see if they will steal the bighorns off an S and put on the xp if you go the XP route.
That is where I bought mine, very good to work with!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have an S and a XP. Most all my trails are from atv traffic. Even the S was a bit wide but the trails have became bigger. The XP is just too damn wide for tight woods trails, I ordered a kit to narrow it up to 60" wide like the S. As everyone else has said, the trailing arms hang up a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went to the SXS dealer today and looked at the RZR's, the Can-Am, and the Teryx. They only had a used XP to test drive, so I took it for a spin. I must say I was rather underwhelmed at the acceleration and throttle response. I guess I expected more for the "top dog" in the SXS market. At this point I'm going to reconsider the purchase of a SXS since all my buddies still wheel full-bodied rigs, and I just don't think they'll give me what I'm looking for.

My dad on the other hand fell in love with the Teryx's for around his acreage. He's got an '09 Honda Foreman 500 that they offered damn near what he paid for it in trade which would make the transition a pretty easy move. Are there any major issues or pitfalls with the Teryx's to be aware of? He's not looking for sport or huge utility, just 4x4 to get around the property and the ability to haul a bit of firewood or a deer.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well, I went to the SXS dealer today and looked at the RZR's, the Can-Am, and the Teryx. They only had a used XP to test drive, so I took it for a spin. I must say I was rather underwhelmed at the acceleration and throttle response. I guess I expected more for the "top dog" in the SXS market. At this point I'm going to reconsider the purchase of a SXS since all my buddies still wheel full-bodied rigs, and I just don't think they'll give me what I'm looking for...
I felt the same way when i went to test drove one in the parking lot of our local dealer. Thought it was rather under powered and did not seem to be the hot rod it was hyped to be. Then I test rode one out in the desert with a buddy that has one. No power mods, just tires and doors and such. I could not stop grinning. The thing was balls out fast. 70 mph on a two track rutted out road. Then down into the rocks for some crawling. Followed up by jumping it out of a gully then 40 mph over 2 foot berms. Two 200lb+ guys and we only bottomed out once. That sold me. I am getting a 900 xp this spring.

Do yourself a favor and find a friend that has one and take a real test drive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a 2011 50" LE RZR 800, and now have a 2012 RZR XP LE. The 800 I felt was slightly underpowered, and lethargic. Got the XP and was pleasantly surprised that after proper break in, and able to really stand on the throttle that the XP will powerslide on Asphalt. (wasnt trying to, Im sure one could manage to still roll one if they weren't smart about it) at any rate, their power is incredible, and its amazing how they will swallow 2 foot deep whoops like nothing.

Polaris did their homework on the XP, I love mine.

RE: about the wildcat. FWIW I've been told that the suspension will edge out the XP. I've also heard that in a flat-out drag, the XP will still walk away from the wildcat. So I bet its about sixes for either machine, and personally I don't care for the looks of the wildcat, so I'll keep the XP. :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well, I went to the SXS dealer today and looked at the RZR's, the Can-Am, and the Teryx.
My dad on the other hand fell in love with the Teryx's for around his acreage. He's got an '09 Honda Foreman 500 that they offered damn near what he paid for it in trade which would make the transition a pretty easy move. Are there any major issues or pitfalls with the Teryx's to be aware of? He's not looking for sport or huge utility, just 4x4 to get around the property and the ability to haul a bit of firewood or a deer.
I have a 08 teryx, only problems I have had in 2 and 1/2 years of HARD riding have been things I have created..go to teryxforums.net for the scoop on them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts