Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how is the 4.10 gears with spooled or welded third holding up in your hydro steered trucks? im thinking of ridding my self of the expensive arb/5.29 and 5.29/v6 third/lockrite and merely running cheap used 4.10 stockers front and rear with a couple of passes of the mig. ill always carry a spare and the parts are cheap and easy to come by...

i got the impression from jack-a that this might not even be worthy and hes moving on to dana parts? it never ends....the slow climb to the camo 60, my son doesnt really need to go to college does he?:D

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I have been running the same combo as you except with an ARB in the rear V6 third. Two years and no R&P failures yet. I keep waiting for it to happen, but so far, so good. I am running Richmonds in the rear and Superiors in the front. Guys have been blowing up welded 4.10s too, so I don't know how much advantage that setup has, especially with the loss of power that they have mentioned. I wonder if the stock carriers are deflecting under load? If my current good luck holds and I can get a couple years out of a R&P, I'll stick with the setup I have untill its time for the 40" tire Dana 60 combo.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll do you a favor and trade you my stock 4:10 thirds with open 4:10's in my project truck for your set up 5:29's

Hey A man can dream can't he?

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I agree w/ Zags. I think an aftermarket carrier (ARB, Detroit) can add a significant amount of strength.

I think deflection of any kind is probably a big factor in how easily the R&P will fail. My guess is that this is why a 8.5" D44 can easily be run under a heavy V8 rig (and is regularly) and Toy 8" wouldn't have much chance under the same rig.

That's also why I'm hoping the trussed Taco 3rd I'm running w/ an ARB is a big upgrade over a standard V6 3rd (even thogh the ring gears are actually nearly identical in size). The pinion shaft on the Taco 3rd is a lot thicker too.

:D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hey booger, I have my Detroit all dissasembled ready to go into the trash, and I got to thinking how I could possibly turn the carrier into a spool. You and I both have useless Detroit parts, would it be worth our time to weld up the detroit somehow?? It seems it would be stronger than the stock cast one!

What do the pros think :D

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Don't know, never been there. Spool rear, ARB HP front, both 4.10's, works for me :D :D :D .

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
408_jigga said:
Hey booger, I have my Detroit all dissasembled ready to go into the trash, and I got to thinking how I could possibly turn the carrier into a spool. You and I both have useless Detroit parts, would it be worth our time to weld up the detroit somehow?? It seems it would be stronger than the stock cast one!

What do the pros think :D
you were never one to listen to the pros:D lets weld those fuckerz up!

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
If you decide that you want a stock spare 3rd w/4.10's, let me know and I'll drag it down to JV for the jambo. It came out of a front axle and looks like every thing is ok. It's just taking up space here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts