Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
WOW.......What moron wouyld pay that much for that ! YIKES...an idiot born everyday......LOL!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Holly smokes that's a bit MUCH for door stoppers. Did it come with both doors? Sheesh. I'll find a pair for that price if anybody wants to buy some. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,527 Posts
That is just way too sad... I couldn't sleep at night if I had f---ed someone that bad... Too bad for the bidder...

I almost wonder if the bidding was fixed.... Looking at the bid info, it was 2 users... and they kept cranking up the price... seems kindve odd...? Who knows
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,473 Posts
I've got a set sitting in a coffee can... first $100 takes them :D

I'm guessing that since the pre-74 door stoppers are not available anywhere that they are at a premium, but that is rediculous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
WTF! I don't get it....why? the buyer looks like a J**P guy from the other items he has bought.

FWIW I have bought stuff from Vic and his prices arn't too bad, doubt seriously he had any idea that the price would go so high.....but I imagine he is :bounce: with joy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Something just doesn't look right with only 2 guys bidding. The other guy (archival_gull) kept bidding with higher and higher amounts. Usually if someone want to buy on eBay, he just puts one bid and if he loses, that's it since he's reached his spending limit. This one keeps upping the bid to ridiculous prices. Who knows, maybe he just had to have it.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dave-

obviously novice buyers on ebay. But it's the product that I can't believe.

3/8" rod, bent and hammered on one end. 8mm threads cut on other end. two 15 cent rubber donuts.
all that $177 does not make.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Dave,
I haven't been on ebay for quite a while but back in the day they used to have "proxy" bidding. You would bid your highest price you would want to pay, say $50, but your first bid is only $20. Then some guy comes along and bids $29. Assuming the bid increment is $1 then ebay would automatically make you the high bidder for $30. This would continue until the other bidder outbid you at $51, at which time he would be shown as the high bidder. If the other bidder "re-bid" $1 at a time until he beat you at $51 it would show you as the high bidder 31 times even though you didn't physically bid each time. You would "by proxy" be the high bidder because someone else bid.

Clear as mud?


Oh yeah, I got some of them stoppers for sale too.:flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
HOLY CRAP!
that's like $260 Canadian
I have a crate full of door catches, I'll sell the whole crate for $260

I feel sorry the the winner, because in a week from now he's probably going to come across a pair of complete mint doors for $50 in the local paper
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,178 Posts
Mud Guppie said:
HOLY CRAP!
that's like $260 Canadian
I have a crate full of door catches, I'll sell the whole crate for $260

I feel sorry the the winner, because in a week from now he's probably going to come across a pair of complete mint doors for $50 in the local paper
that happens to me too :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,527 Posts
Ya know, I tried to do the right thing and let this bidder know he was getting raped... here is his reply...tell me waht you think...

Ebay bidder Wrote:
You know I thought about that as I placed My bid....
Then it dawned on me that I have spent roughly $15K on
my cruiser this past year, whats another $200.00? If
you have any of these $10.00 door stoppers, contact
the other sucker that was trying to out bid me "he
quite at $175.00.
No Worries!

--- [email protected] wrote:
>
> To member: derhntr72
> From member: [email protected]
>
> --------------------
>
>
> Dude, you just paid $177 for a set of $10 FJ40 door
> stoppers... I would do more searching of the web
> before bidding on items like that...
>
> --------------------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
BMAN said:
they used to have "proxy" bidding. You would bid your highest price you would want to pay, say $50, but your first bid is only $20. Then some guy comes along and bids $29. Assuming the bid increment is $1 then ebay would automatically make you the high bidder for $30. This would continue until the other bidder outbid you at $51, at which time he would be shown as the high bidder. If the other bidder "re-bid" $1 at a time until he beat you at $51 it would show you as the high bidder 31 times even though you didn't physically bid each time. You would "by proxy" be the high bidder because someone else bid.

Clear as mud?


Oh yeah, I got some of them stoppers for sale too.:flipoff2:
BMAN,

I'm familiar with eBay's proxy bidding, but I know you couldn't assume I was. If you look at drhntr72's bids there are three different dates he bid: 2/10, 2/12 at 10:45 and 2/12 ar 12:59. Proxy bidding doesn't change the dates of your bid in that manner. All you would see is the other bidder having to bid over and over to finally overcome your proxy bid, which is also the case here. What I find interesting is how archival_gull kept bidding so persistently as if to find drhntr72's limit and to goad him to outbid him. Just my assumption of course.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
cruiseroutfit said:
Ya know, I tried to do the right thing and let this bidder know he was getting raped... here is his reply...tell me waht you think...

Ebay bidder Wrote:
You know I thought about that as I placed My bid....
Then it dawned on me that I have spent roughly $15K on
my cruiser this past year, whats another $200.00? If
you have any of these $10.00 door stoppers, contact
the other sucker that was trying to out bid me "he
quite at $175.00.
No Worries!

--- [email protected] wrote:
>
> To member: derhntr72
> From member: [email protected]
>
> --------------------
>
>
> Dude, you just paid $177 for a set of $10 FJ40 door
> stoppers... I would do more searching of the web
> before bidding on items like that...
>
> --------------------

My thought, if he spent 15k in the last year at the same kinda prices he paid for the stopers.....then it has only bought 3k in parts! Hey at least you tried!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Dave,
My bad bro. I didn't even look at the dates. Like I said, it's been a long time since I used ebay. 2 or 3 years or so. I know I've been in serious bidding wars with people before and it seems like I always lost those ones. Guess I was smart enough to stop before I got burned.

I also agree with the fact that if this guy has spent $15k on his cruiser buying parts like this he hasn't done well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,527 Posts
Landpimp said:
...Hey at least you tried!
That was my feeling, I kindve felt wierd about sending this guy a message but after hearing his response I don't fell bad at all... This guy is an idiot.... mabey I should have informed him I have a ton of parts for sale...:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This bidder/buyer is a true sad case. These guys I can blame for some prices going through the roof (like drop down gates up 66% on average on ebay vs street price). When buyers come in high it also keeps certain businesses alive. Classic Cruisers is one where parts often are more expensive than Specter (and I have only consummated $150 in deals with them over 8 years) but they still continue to be viable. There are also private types like a 'wrecking yard' in Vegas where it's basically a pick and pull of cruiser parts that holds to Specter prices (R.W.'s). Specter is something else (placed an order 1/2 hour ago) because everything is clean, cataloged, and shipped in a defined time span. If no one else has it SOR might and can fill orders.

There is trick sh$t out there that may be worth a bit more than average, but basically we are trying to keep trucks on the road so prices should relate to that. Door stops are not trick. I guess I am not a very good cruiser business because I like the trucks and most owners too much. I am happy that mini truck conversion info has spread the word that $1,000 rusted hulk LC disk brake front ends are no longer selling. I also want to publically congrat Ehsan for blowing the soft top frame myth away and I hope new products like (maybe?) drop down gates etc will do the same.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top