1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Absolutely! People talk about the deficit but it is negligible in comparison to this country's unfunded liabilities. Every state is in a similar situation. Come on guys, we need to keep momentum, that can isn't going to keep kicking itself!:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

·
Green bastard
6,663 Posts
So he did get paid to not go in there. And not because he didn't get killed and is alive to receive said pension, but because of the ridiculous amount of it. Anyone know what the average salary is for such a position?

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
So he did get paid to not go in there. And not because he didn't get killed and is alive to receive said pension, but because of the ridiculous amount of it. Anyone know what the average salary is for such a position?
Ft Lauderdale has ads with the salary listed as $55,536 - $85,675. My cousin is a Sheriff in Tennessee, not a deputy but the County Sheriff and makes around $130k from the county website.

·
Green bastard
6,663 Posts
Ft Lauderdale has ads with the salary listed as $55,536 - $85,675. My cousin is a Sheriff in Tennessee, not a deputy but the County Sheriff and makes around $130k from the county website.
So is it normal to make more from your pension than when you were working? I come from self employed family who just work and work until they cant and get ss and have savings.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Couple weeks ago at a neighbors party the people who live across from them work at the university hospital (25+yrs) and talked about crossing the picket line if negotiations broke down. Well I needed to take my gal to the hospital that day and lo and behold...I see all the union shenanigans unfolding right there :homer:

Everyone in solidarity when the paid for ice cream truck pulls up :laughing:

then the secret unmarked black suv

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
So is it normal to make more from your pension than when you were working?
Ft Lauderdale PD said:
Police Officers are eligible for normal retirement after twenty (20) years of service computed at three (3%) percent per year up to a maximum of 75%. The retirement plan is supported by the City and is contributory on the part of the employee, who is required to contribute 10 percent (10 %) of his/her (pre-tax) gross salary. Post retirement benefit 3%
75% of $85,675 is $64,256, so you wouldn't think so.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
So is it normal to make more from your pension than when you were working? .
Shit, it's standard here in Oregon. not only do they get more, that can do consulting and get paid on top of that. Oregon PERS is at 25 billion of debt and climbing right now. Shit, why do you think that money grubbing bitch "Governor" of ours keeps inventing tax jerk arounds for us. Fucking government on crack. ...and they keep voting for them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
OT was an unknown variable. I try not to solve for X if I'm not on the clock.

EDIT* To pull in $8702/mo at 75% he would have to made an average of $139,232.
Very normal.

Here in CA you get x% of your last years wage. So people save all their vacation time for as long as they can, bump the pay in the last year. Get OT like crazy for the "retirement gift". Then retire getting 100 or even 200K.

All on the backs of people that actually work for a living.

·
Wut?
14,914 Posts
OH gee look, another overpaid "former" LEO, and proven coward, that we the taxpayers have to support now. All for having done nothing other than wear a badge, and eat fucking donuts all his life.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
agree 10000000000% I hope this brings some light to abuses like this.
How about the guys that "retire" for a day so they can start collecting their pension then return to work? Happens all the time locally, especially in the sheriff's department. A deputy will retire from patrol duty and pick up a supervisor gig in the jail or courthouse.

I think when muny employees strike the local government sometimes gives in to the demands thinking "I won't be around the next time the contract is up" and let the new council etc deal with it. Same with the auto unions...maybe it wasn't so much that the union was that powerful, but maybe management didn't give a shit because they weren't going to have to deal with it again.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts