Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might sound kinda stupid since im not very extreem... ive got a 93 grand cherokee and when i went out to my truck this morning i noticed a hose hanging. so i climbed underthere and followed the hose. and it goes to the front diff. its about 3 feet long. Where the hell does it go?!?! it looks as if its been disconnected for a while. is it a breather, an air locker, what the hell does it do?!?! And where do i plug it back in? :emb3:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
If your air locker works it's obviously not for that.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Probably be better to post this question in the newbie forum, JU might be a good place to start. I'd delete this and post over there.

It is a breather tube for the front axle. On the older ones it goes up to the master cylinder area of the firewall. Not sure on the newer ones.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
chances are it is a breather hose. if you look under the hood up high(radiator support/firewall) you will probably find an empty clamp or a bolt doing nothing. you need to route it up high so as to avoid getting water in the dif when it rains or during a water crossing.

good luck noob :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Sounds like it is your front diff breather hose...just plug it back in. You may want to change your diff oil...it may have some water in it depending on how long the hose has been disconnected and what the weather in your area is like. Oh...this should really be in the newbie section :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
I think its the sealed port injection for the vaccuum advance mechanism. A VERY important feature to the mechanical use of the dana 30 front axle. In all liklihood ebing it was disconnected your front end is destroyed, bearings will be scorched, I will be surprised if any gear oil is left in there, and the spider gears will for sure be destroyed. Get a new axle.

Either that or try Newbie section :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
It could be much worse because if the sealed port injection for the vacuum advance mechanism becomes disconnected the viscous coupling to the new process transfer case could loose hydrostatic pressure therein bypassing the govenor's solenoid. This would send a pressure column of coolant from the transmission cooling lines straight into the Evap system and we all know happens then, yep! Coolant in the fuel, you're in a world of hurts dude. Take it to AAmco, quick.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Ya'll missed the sig....its from his shift kit vacuum intergration realy...come awnnn

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It most likely is your vent line into your axle housing, however if it's hanging you have some serious issues to address. The first of these is did you drive uphill at any time? This causes the gear oil to slosh back into the port for the intake hose, being that it's lower then it's normal position and dragging it will act like a drain (so less gear lube then required). Also have you gone through any water or puddles? If so theres a likely-hood that you have water in there, if there is water in there, there are also soil particles. If it was muddy water you might have to replace the bearings and or R&P as it will form an aggregate around a roller bearing (on your carrier and pinion) this happens due to the heat off of the bearings, drying the soil particles to which they stick to the bearing. If it scores the bearings can lock up the Kinibily Pin which activates the tapered roller throw-out bearing diaphram (acts as your slipless diff) meaning your front axle would be locked at all times, making turning a problem. My advise to you would be to split the cover, drain the oil and then flush it out with a can of Budwiser....I shit you not Budwiser is the king of flushing mechanisms, your going to need a 6pak. When you pour the Budwiser it will release carbon dioxide (hence why you get head on a beer) and when it does that it will lift any foreign debries off of your bearings, about 2 cans worth should do it. Slap the cover back on, pour in 3 cans and drive it engauged in 4-Hi on the street for about 20 miles. Proceed to pull the cover off, draining the Budwiser and fill with good old gear oil, then crack that last can open for yourself and sit back knowing you just remedied an otherwise expensive situation. Best of luck to you man!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
CJ5inFourWheelDrive said:
It most likely is your vent line into your axle housing, however if it's hanging you have some serious issues to address. The first of these is did you drive uphill at any time? This causes the gear oil to slosh back into the port for the intake hose, being that it's lower then it's normal position and dragging it will act like a drain (so less gear lube then required). Also have you gone through any water or puddles? If so theres a likely-hood that you have water in there, if there is water in there, there are also soil particles. If it was muddy water you might have to replace the bearings and or R&P as it will form an aggregate around a roller bearing (on your carrier and pinion) this happens due to the heat off of the bearings, drying the soil particles to which they stick to the bearing. If it scores the bearings can lock up the Kinibily Pin which activates the tapered roller throw-out bearing diaphram (acts as your slipless diff) meaning your front axle would be locked at all times, making turning a problem. My advise to you would be to split the cover, drain the oil and then flush it out with a can of Budwiser....I shit you not Budwiser is the king of flushing mechanisms, your going to need a 6pak. When you pour the Budwiser it will release carbon dioxide (hence why you get head on a beer) and when it does that it will lift any foreign debries off of your bearings, about 2 cans worth should do it. Slap the cover back on, pour in 3 cans and drive it engauged in 4-Hi on the street for about 20 miles. Proceed to pull the cover off, draining the Budwiser and fill with good old gear oil, then crack that last can open for yourself and sit back knowing you just remedied an otherwise expensive situation. Best of luck to you man!
So....does that qualify as a hillbilly fix? :laughing:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
you don't have a vacuum disconnect, it is your breather hoze and it run up and there is some small clips to hold it in place on the side of the air filter box. it mounts up and then loops back.

dont listen to these :jester:'s

and you ZJ does not come factory with a air locker in the front/.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
JeffsJeep04 said:
So....does that qualify as a hillbilly fix? :laughing:
Well that was me being sarcastic, but if you want to try it, by all means. Just make sure you post pictures :flipoff2: .

·
Registered
192 Posts
oil goes inside your axle? why's that?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I thought that hose was a spare extra length straw for jack and coke or was it a bong hose extension. I guess it depends on whether your jammin to Hank Williams or Bob Marley. Fawk it if I see shit hangin under the truck I just rip it off and throw it in that overfull drawer in my kitchen that everone else throws their shit in. I'd advise them same
:flipoff2:

I'm glad I come here to try and learn something

1 - 20 of 30 Posts