Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm ordering all the parts for an RE style long arm setup for my XJ. I'm planning on using 1.75" OD .375" DOM for the lower and 1.5" OD .250" DOM for the upper portion. Then I'll use 1" ID tube adapters and 3/4" all-thread. How does that sound so far? I wanna do this right (or as close as possible) the first time.

Yes, I searched, but still needed a straight forward, clear cut answer :flipoff2:

Oh yeah... full widths, 37/38" tires (in the future), blah blah blah

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
IMO the 3/4 all thread sounds kinda weak. You could probaly get away with it as long as it wasnt adjusted out to far.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I'd say it's not strong enough. Look at RE's stuff--they're using at least 1", if not 1.25", threaded rod. And I don't think it's general-purpose allthread, either, it's probably B7 or better stuff.

I wouldn't go smaller than 1.25" on that if I were building it myself. I've bent 1.5"x0.375 DOM in a radius arm setup before, and if you're going to build the setup, you may as well only build it once.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...I've bent 1.5"x0.375 DOM in a radius arm setup before...
Damn, wouldn't that give you an ID of .75"? I'm guessing these were fixed arms with bushings (not heims)?

Anyway, thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Correct on the ID. And yes, with bushings, not heims. Not sure what you mean by "fixed" arms.
fixed meaning not adjustable
not adjustable meaning no all-thread in that tiny .75" hole :D

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Billy, if you (we? me? bryan and i?) are making the arms from scratch you don't need to make them adjustable. Look at Bryan's setup his works tits and they aren't adjustable.

Also might want to look into using RE spherical joints too. O ya Bryan's lower arms are 1.75" .250 wall DOM, yours will be plenty stout w/o the all thread.

Jason

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jason R said:
Billy, if you (we? me? bryan and i?) are making the arms from scratch you don't need to make them adjustable. Look at Bryan's setup his works tits and they aren't adjustable.

Also might want to look into using RE spherical joints too. O ya Bryan's lower arms are 1.75" .250 wall DOM, yours will be plenty stout w/o the all thread.

Jason
OK, maybe I'll scrap the adjustability feature. And yeah, I was planning on making them from scratch. And yes, I have RE spherical joints on the way. :D

THANKS!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts