Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
What kind of a rig will the shocks be on?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Assuming this will be for coilovers. That being said, does some of the info for tuning coilovers apply to airshocks?

·
Registered
331 Posts
after reading the coilover bible several times, i think trying to cram good information into a show that is realistically 15 minutes long after commercials and nonsence, is just going to confuse people more than they already are. my opinion, but il be watching.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
after reading the coilover bible several times, i think trying to cram good information into a show that is realistically 15 minutes long after commercials and nonsence, is just going to confuse people more than they already are. my opinion, but il be watching.
I agree, I think that more people will be "dumber" about shocks after watching than before. But I too will be DVRing it.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
so let me know what you guys think
Shock tuning is good to know but that does not seem applicable to a general audience IMO. Tuning is most likely for racers or those intending to race, who probably know people in the community to setup a shock. Shock tuning is an art whether its a sports car or a KOH rig, not something you are going to learn in 10 mins on a TV show.

I think you need to finish the Honda buggy, the Duramax buggy and the Pathfinder camera truck build. I think you need to do an update show on all the other rigs. How did the Gorilla tow rig get wrecked or blown up or whatever the hell happened to it, does the S-10 buggy and bottom drawer buggy get wheeled, where are they now along with the rest of the rigs, who owns them or uses them, etc?

The expedition build may be interesting, but a Grand Cherocar? Building your own trailer would have been cooler along with non Jeep tow rig.

Strip a RZR and do a full build up or build a tube chassis side by side with a bike or sled motor, build a fully independant buggy using rockwell or D80 chunks, build a Class 10 type buggy in 2 or 4wd, build a swamp buggy or a moose buggy, convert a small cabover truck like an NPR or Fuso to 4WD for use as a tow rig or expo rig, do a common rail or 12 valve swap into a Suburban, Excursion, Tundra, a cabover truck or an M37 Dodge Power Wagon, build a 4wd van for expo/tow rig use, build your own expo trailer or maybe even a real or redneck toyhauler from an enclosed trailer or truck/pop up camper.

Bring back the event coverage section of the show, get someone to help you on the show so you can get more done. Adrienne Janic comes to mind :D

PS: Search and restore is super ghey and needs to be shit-canned immediately.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shock tuning is good to know but that does not seem applicable to a general audience IMO. Tuning is most likely for racers or those intending to race, who probably know people in the community to setup a shock. Shock tuning is an art whether its a sports car or a KOH rig, not something you are going to learn in 10 mins on a TV show.

I think you need to finish the Honda buggy, the Duramax buggy and the Pathfinder camera truck build. I think you need to do an update show on all the other rigs. How did the Gorilla tow rig get wrecked or blown up or whatever the hell happened to it, does the S-10 buggy and bottom drawer buggy get wheeled, where are they now along with the rest of the rigs, who owns them or uses them, etc?

The expedition build may be interesting, but a Grand Cherocar? Building your own trailer would have been cooler along with non Jeep tow rig.

Strip a RZR and do a full build up or build a tube chassis side by side with a bike or sled motor, build a fully independant buggy using rockwell or D80 chunks, build a Class 10 type buggy in 2 or 4wd, build a swamp buggy or a moose buggy, convert a small cabover truck like an NPR or Fuso to 4WD for use as a tow rig or expo rig, do a common rail or 12 valve swap into a Suburban, Excursion, Tundra, a cabover truck or an M37 Dodge Power Wagon, build a 4wd van for expo/tow rig use, build your own expo trailer or maybe even a real or redneck toyhauler from an enclosed trailer or truck/pop up camper.

Bring back the event coverage section of the show, get someone to help you on the show so you can get more done. Adrienne Janic comes to mind :D

PS: Search and restore is super ghey and needs to be shit-canned immediately.
Actually I would have agreed with that shock tuning statement until after spending time actually doing it with the crew at Bilstein. And yes alot of you are right, there is not enough time in a 1/2 hour show to go through every single part of shock tuning, but I think we did a pretty good job of explaining exactly what we did.

Event coverage is back this year, we just shot some ECORS stuff, and just put together this years package from the Dixie Run.

The Camera crew pathy has been done for more than year and can be seen in the background of many different trail rides.

Honda buggy is being finished this year.......Diesel Buggy is just like the S10....it takes time when you build something that freakin crazy.

The Gorilla has a thread on here about what happened to it but suffice to say it is dead and getting parted out.

Yes the S10 gets wheeled when I feel like it, but honestly it is not my favorite rig to drive so I ussually end up taking out other rides. Plus while I wait for parts for other projects I still need to make TV so I start new stuff.

I have a Ford F150 in the shop right now that is going to be a 1/2 Price Raptor Killer.....

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Assuming this will be for coilovers. That being said, does some of the info for tuning coilovers apply to airshocks?
If you can just stick to the valving only, then yes...kind of, otherwise no. Spring rate changes are done with oil, ride height set with nitrogen over oil volume... which can start to affect valving performance if you're looking for more shaft at ride height.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts