Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turns out, last year, we actually built a rig that we're all pretty happy with, but there's always a few tweaks to do to a comp rig, so (of course) we've been tweaking away on it this winter, and figured we'd share some of the tweaks with everybody.

Started off with wanting a bit more ground clearance, some lighter weight, lower gearing, so we got ahold of a pair of Diamond Axle 9"/60 hybrids, with Dedenbear C's.

The Diamond 9's are a formed center, pre-shaved for maximum clearance, ~60ish pounds lighter than a comparable 60, all in all, pretty trick.

We realized that we'd want to be able to maneuver better this year, than we could last year, so we had to find some more steering angle. Fortunately, we were able to just steal tech on this front; Lovell Rock Racing had already done some axle and knuckle clearancing on their front end to turn extra sharp, so we grabbed onto their coattails, chucked up our Alloy USA axles in the mill, and did a little shaving.

More to follow....

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With the axleshafts clearanced out for the higher angles, we had some tuning to do on the Dedenbear outer knuckles for clearance.

Before:

After:

More coming....

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
shoulda gone with the longfield d60 birfs

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With maneuvering out of the way, we started working on control.

A set of SwayAWay RaceRunner 2.0 Air Shocks was added to get us better control, while keeping weight and packaging size down.

Knowing some of the intense situations and dropoffs involved in rockcrawling, we added a set of SwayAWay 4" travel air bumps.

Start out by mocking things up a bit:

A little cardboard template work makes life a lot easier:

Cardboard cut into metal parts and tacked in, then we got to attaching the air bumps to the chassis:

And everything welded up, painted up, (had to mask the shocks and hydro cylinder to keep paint off):

More coming still....

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the front, having proper bumpstops was of the essence. With the new SwayAWay shocks in, we found a little more compression travel available in the suspension.

Full bottom-out:

Fortunately, the Diamond Axles are shaved top and bottom. That's a big chunk of where the extra room came from. :)

Striker pad next to the diff:

Air bump on the chassis:

All pretty:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Are you planning on doing any rock racing this year with the air bumps? Those housings are really good looking, especially with all the extra Alloy USA and Dedenbear bling added.

Ryan

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flashover Mfg said:
Are you planning on doing any rock racing this year with the air bumps?
Would really like to, but scheduling doesn't look optimal. :(

Flashover Mfg said:
Those housings are really good looking, especially with all the extra Alloy USA and Dedenbear bling added.
I slightly de-blinged this one making a mess when I redid some hydraulic line routing, but still very pretty. :)

Here's the real bling I like... FWIW, this is on fairly low pressure, half-ish-worn, 39" Krawlers, with full vehicle weight on it.

brector said:
Eaton detroits
Never even gotten the chance to lay my hands on one yet--I've only ever used 14b ones in Eatons. ;)

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also upgraded to ARB's new little-bitty compressor. Tiny, quiet, this thing is really slick. :) Should make it a lot easier to clearly understand Shawn on the radio this year, since the compressor, running, only makes about as much noise as my fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Looks good Scott.

How much did you take off the axles with the mill? I'm looking at doing the same thing on mine.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Scott, if you're having a hard time hearing Shawn, you need to have your hearing examined! :grinpimp:

Best of luck this year!

·
Registered
595 Posts
thats looks really good. if you dont mind me asking, how much did the whole front axle setup run you?

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Net amount of material off the axleshafts was less than 0.1 at any point, but the program runs about eight passes of circular interpolation. Basically, (shy of posting the G code that does it) it starts out, goes over to a certain point, spins a circle around that point, then increments down and over, and spins the same circle again and again, in order to cut the "ramp" shape that the opposing ear nestles into. It does that repeatedly, then jogs over about a half inch and whacks the web a bit as well for joint body clearance. As you can tell from the pic, it was done with a radiused end cutter with a 3/16" radius to try and keep everything fairly smooth.

If you do it with a die grinder, it's not terribly difficult, just a lot more time consuming (particularly if you have more than one steering axle) to the point that it was worth it (to me, anyway, I'm kind of a tool geek) to run it on the CNC.

The Alloy USA axles were already clear to about 38 degrees right out of the box, which is why relatively little came off the shafts at any point in the program; I actually wrote the program experimenting on a stock Dana axle, and it carved that sucker up pretty hard. Then I ran the same exact program on the Alloy USA stuff, and it only even made contact for about half the duration of the program--the rest, the shafts were already clear. I was definitely impressed with that. :)

So far, hearing Shawn has only been a problem once, when we had a radio headset fail. ;)

I honestly haven't added up what the front axle ran, or what it'd cost to duplicate it; we cut, splined, and clearanced the axleshafts, made the stubby high steer arms, machined the knuckles, hung the gears, one-offed the steering cylinder mounts, installed the ARB, made the brake caliper brackets, hybridized a bunch of Ford hub and spindle stuff onto Dedenbear's Chevy style knuckles... it's not exactly a normal front end. I'd guess that if we billed out the machine work that just quietly "got done", at a normal shop rate, that alone would be into four digits. :eek:

I don't have an actual centerline to bottom measurement, but the housing is pretty close to (if not actually) symmetrical from top to bottom, and it appears to be approximately 11" tall, so I'd estimate the centerline to bottom at 5.5".

·
Registered
134 Posts
Funny thing, Shawn was talking about this at dinner last night and I was wishing I had some pictures to look at.

Guess I should have surfed P4x4 before going to dinner.

Looks good. Best of luck to you guys this season!

Stacy

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
so what is the angle in degrees that you achieved after all that grinding? and what was it in stock form?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts