Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided on going with the Thorley header after searching but a little worried on some of the posts that I read. Mainly about Thorley being sold to someone else and now the quality of the headers isn't as good. Has anyone bought a Thorley recently and had any complaints about the quality.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
I bought my Thorley 2 years ago and had to weld and regrind several areas smooth on the main flange to get it to seal up properly. Was pretty obvious when I looked at it that it wouldn't seal up with pear shaped exhaust ports my 22RE has. Other than that minor modification, I've haven't had any problems. I think the LCEngineering headers look like they are fabed up better but the fitment of them seem to vary a lot from vehicle to vehicle.....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4RnrRick said:
I bought my Thorley 2 years ago and had to weld and regrind several areas smooth on the main flange to get it to seal up properly. Was pretty obvious when I looked at it that it wouldn't seal up with pear shaped exhaust ports my 22RE has. Other than that minor modification, I've haven't had any problems. I think the LCEngineering headers look like they are fabed up better but the fitment of them seem to vary a lot from vehicle to vehicle.....
I read about your problems while searching. Don't want to run into any of those problems. I like the LC but it is $$$$. What size piping did you run with the header. I was thinking 2.25" I have an old magnaflow in the garage that is barely used. Prolly try it out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like part number from summit is DTE-542Y-O. I am assuming this is the one that I need for my 22re. It says in the description that is comes with the O2 hookup. Does this sound correct.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i bought the LC and i am pleased with it.it did come with the wrong pipe to cat.no [email protected] fitting,they sent me the correct one though.i ran it with 2.25 and a magnaflow.good power.i think i would get the NWOR if i had to do it again.more torque.they have never done me wrong and my order is always right.never have to wait on backorders.steve

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I got mine from summit, I think it was more like $227.
you have to be careful with the model you pick (I think mine was a dte555y)

the o2 is in different spots for different model years

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I purchased mine I had to get the manifold flange plain flat. Couldn't get it completely flat though. I ran 2.25" exhaust, when I sold it I installed the stock manifold and 2.25" pipe straigh from the factory collector ... didn't even notice the difference.

My opinion ... save your money for buy a locker, tires, stereo or anything but a header for a 22RE ... but then that's my opinion

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I bought my first DT header in 1992 for my 1986 22RE, it was before Thorely sold his headers to Summit. It made very noticeable difference in torque and power. I bought my second DT header about 18 months ago for my '85 22R, 5-speed The quality was not as good as the original. The collector was a few inches off towards the bellhousing. I had to use a flex pipe to get in back in line with the stock exhaust. I went 2.5" right to a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler, no cat, then 2.25 after the muffler. The bad thing about the last DT header (sold by Summit) is the mating flanges were not flat. I had to take the header to a machine shop to get it flat, and I hand filed and used my Dremel tool to get the mating coupler pipe flange flat. If you don't get them flat, the gasket will usually leak. Performance-wise the Tri-Y design provides the best torque numbers. I've read lots of good reports on the LCE header, but it seems to have some problems with alignment and bumping into the frame on some vehicles. Once I got the header bolts snug, I never had a problem with exhaust leaks at the head. I'd buy another DT header without hesitation. I prefer the Tri-Y design for the 22s. I would not buy anything from NWOR. TJMHO.
Gnarls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts