Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that a 78-79 ford F150/Bronco 9" will bolt into a MJ/XJ without altering the spring perch width/angle? Those that have done this swap, what has been your experience? Also, are all the F150 9" axles the big bearing design? Thanks, JUDD

·
Registered
72 Posts
Been there done that, It will bolt right in, If you want? The spring perches are about 1/4" off. So yes they will bolt up, It just matters how picky you are! I moved mine. All of the 9" rears out of F-150's Ive messed with were big bearing ends, I really dont know if all of them are like that though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mine was out of an 86' E-150 (van) big bearing 31 spline...

Chopped 4" out of the driver side- spine truss and anti-wrap bar mounts then welded the new perches on... Works great

Oh yea I shaved it so it has 0.25" more clearence than my D35c that came out...
:flipoff2:

Matt

·
Registered
207 Posts
ford 9 shaving

wanderingwillys said:
Oh yea I shaved it so it has 0.25" more clearence than my D35c that came out...
:flipoff2:

Matt
You got any pics of how you shaved a 9". I'm in mid swap and would appreciate any info. Also, what did you do while welding on the truss. Did you make a jig for it to keep the housing from warping or what.

Sorry to get off topic Judd.

·
Registered
657 Posts
As for the truss I just cut the pieces to fit and tacked them in place - then just ran small 1" or 2" beads; jumping from opposite corners until the whole thing was welded up... runs a mini-spool with 38.5x14.5 SX's no issues of any kind (breakage, leakage, ect...)

Here is a shave pic...

And an old pic of the truss I found...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine "could" have bolted right in if I had stayed with leaf springs.

Instead I cut everything off and welded new brackets for my 4 link rear.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Full size bronco and F150 axles are 31 spline. Early bronco's have 28 spline. You can get 35 and 40 spline but you will also have to change some other parts. I am using the stock 31 spline for junk yard replacement availability.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Im picking up my 9.25" on Monday.....33 spline that is....Nissan,
The MJ frame spring hangers and the lower control arms line up within a 1/4" all I goota do is build me some upper arm mounts or build a long arm style setup for teh rear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts