Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far out does you winch / winch bumper stick out from the front edge of your grille? I am building a bumper, useing an older 8274, wich needs 8" +/- of clearance. Is this about the same as everbody else??? How far do the ARBs project from the front edge of the grille? Thanks for any info/pics (if possible)

-Darius

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
On a regular ARB (FJ62), the bumper's outer edge is 12" from the center of the grille, that's the widest part of the bumper. I have a custom axle/shovel mount that takes it to 14".

If I was worried about the approach angle (which I'm not), you could shorten that down considerably, I think a custom bumper that's tighly fitted and has a hawse rather than a roller fairlead could be as short as 9.5"-10.5".

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys.:D It looks like I can get 8.5" w/o the hawse fairlead. Just though it looked a little out there.

-Darius

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
I dont like the way the ARBs stick out so far plus they are heavy. I was more concerened with aproach angle so I just built my own to the needs I had. The farthest point from the grill is the fairlead and thats 8". I plan on adding on to what you see here. This all conects to a hoop in the engine bay its light,strong,and it also gave me a hoop to protect my radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hey Justin, if you replaced the wire with rope and ran a hawse fairlead, you can probably knock of an inch, maybe 1.5" from that, right?

Nice trim of the grill, I dig that. Does it interfere with air flow at all?

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
60seriesguy said:
Hey Justin, if you replaced the wire with rope and ran a hawse fairlead, you can probably knock of an inch, maybe 1.5" from that, right?

Nice trim of the grill, I dig that. Does it interfere with air flow at all?
Yea I would guess its about 1.5 inchs I plan on doing that. I like the rope better too. Just spent so much money latley with the one tons,atlas,and sterring its on hold for a month or so. As far as the air flow YES! It has actually did cause me to go from no overheating problem to over heating in hot weather. I run a Black Magic eletric fan right in the middle of the radiator I moved it up as far as possable. So far so good but we will see once its 100 degrees out! Glad you like it!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here is what i have put on so far... Only 8.5"s to outside edge. Still to be finished with brushguard kinda like abr, but not so nice.

bumper pics

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
hoe are you going to get an 8274 to fit on that ? and wont that be very tall ? i would cut into tha plate to drop it down and back like USFSIHCis on his just my 2ct worth :D

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
Re: hj winch for 60/61/62

Masi said:
I think that best place for winch is under body.So you dont have one meter front harrow... and the vire can set pulling front and rear direction... Se pictures on my homepages.:eek: http://www.kolumbus.fi/s.lantee
Hard to navigate on that page! I dont winch backwards anyways:flipoff2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts