Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should finally be swapping out the stock narrow-track axles.

Anyway, knowing that these aren't exactly a hot commodity, I'm toying with the idea of using them as the basis for a tube-framed, single-seat rock buggy. This probably won't be a competition rig, just something low-buck and fun.

Still trying to work out how everything will fit together.

Here's general thoughts on the specs:
AXLES- front D30, rear M20, 4.10, NT, welded (well, might not weld the D30)
POWERPLANT- something in a 4-cylinder, preferably FI. There are enough 4-cyl Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or Jeep trucks that this should be an easy find. Might convert to propane if its feasible. Still have to research such a thing. Another thought was to use a Harley V-twin or other bike engine, but I'm thinking adaptation to a transmission might be problematic.
TRANNY- preferrably an auto, for simplicity (no clutch linkage to bother with) and so the driver doesn't have to sit on a shifter
REDUCTION- dual TC setup, if possible
SUSPENSION- I'm thinking the easiest/cheapest for this case will be coilovers, possibly located (at least in the rear) with a single half of a leaf spring. Not too versed on coilovers or non-leaf-sprung setups, so also an area for further research

End plan is for something with low CG, smallish tires (31-32"), light weight, maximum approach/depart angles, and minimum length/width. Minimum cost is also a priority.

Any thoughts from folks that have experience building such a thing (even if it's on a larger scale) would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
I'd find axles out of a waggy. The model 20 would be one piece already, and it would have a front 44. If you want dual t-cases, I'd use divorced ones like samurai or toyota. YJ and TJ 4 bangers would be good, they produce a lot more power compared to other 4bangers and would accept a wider variety of transmissions.

As far as suspension, I think that a good springover setup will be just fine. They are cheap, simple, and done right can be great. Look at H8mondays rig before he recently chopped it up for example.

Really, you oughta post this in the Zuki forum, they are the experts at making a lightweight, small tired, 4banger powered 4x4. :D

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I would not do a dual case since in the comps you rarely go that slow so a 4.0 gear set in 300 would be better since the 1st in the stock 5 spd trannys is pretty sh!ty and 300's are light or a 4.0 in the 231 since the weight will be low I bet it would be fine if you find one with the SYE and 32 spline output. Those t-cases don't weigh crap.
I for sure would stick with leaf springs to keep it cheap and simple. Duram and Campbell have done pretty well running leafs and if you keep it pretty narrow you should be able to manuver arround the obstical better. To gain a little stability I would run the front about 4" wider than the rear but keep the rear narrow to miss the cones.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
TexasBlakeWFO said:
YJ and TJ 4 bangers would be good, they produce a lot more power compared to other 4bangers and would accept a wider variety of transmissions.
D
have you ever driven any other 4 banger? Jeep has been behind the curve on engine technology for what seems like forever now. reliable yes, power house hell no.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
NE-RokToy said:

have you ever driven any other 4 banger? Jeep has been behind the curve on engine technology for what seems like forever now. reliable yes, power house hell no.
I own a MPI YJ 2.5, compared to the CJ 4banger, the Zuki 4banger, a 22R, and many other cheap, truck 4x4, 4bangers, I think they are pretty good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts