Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to be able turn my F-150 into a trail only rig, and be able to haul it to the trail and back, which would be easy with just a bumper pull.

But, It would be great to be able to haul both my truck,and exploder(DD) back and forth from home(norhtern MN) and school (northern MI) in one trip.

What I have right now, is a Class B CDL, with air brakes, tanker, hazmat, and passanger. I know the easiest would be to just get a Class A(which I will) but since I'm under 21, I would still have a intrastate restriction on class A rigs. Being I have to cross 3 states, that wouldn't work.

My exploder weighs about 3700lbs right now, and my F-150 atleast 5200lbs, maybe more, especialy if I put a big block in it.

I'm thinking of a used cheap class 3 or 4 rig, and putting a flat bed on it, so i could put the exploder on the back, and then pulling a 18 foot bumper pull for the F-150.

It wouldn't matter is I grossed over 26K, but I just can't exceed 10K on the trailer, which I know the F-150 would not.

Either somehting like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2446733866&category=6729

or this
http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/1/6/58692616.htm

I know a F-450 or similiar would handle the wieght, and would pull it with ease, but they are also expensive.

I know the reliability of those little isuzu NDP's are questionable, but I really only need to use it for a 300 mile trip, 4 times a year.(though I would more often)
One of thsoe would also be alot cheaper, but how would that little 4 cyl diesel pull with a a gcvw of 22-24K?

·
Premium Member
25,811 Posts
That ISUZU is the biggest TURD for power you will ever and I mean EVER drive. My 18 hp lawn tractor has more HP than one of those. My brother had one BRAND NEW that wouldn't get out of it's own way empty. Full it was painfully slow.

I would stick with something more normal like the ford. Unless you are thinking about an engine swap.

·
Registered
145 Posts
See, that's what spending too much time at MTU will do for you. You start coming up with crazy ideas!

;)

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm sounds like the isuzu is NOT the way to go. Any recomendations what other class 4 rigs would be work well? Other than just the standard F-450 rig?

I would "like" to have a flat bed that I could put about 7K on the back of, if need be.

As for being at MTU to long... I had bad ideas before I came here.. this place just makes it worse..
Hell, my wheeling rig is broken, so I just swaped the tires off it onto my daily driver, and put on tow hooks.. just to make it to the poker run tommorrow..
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Dustin Smith said:
Why a calss 4? Its just a glorified 1ton, and honestly you get no advantage over the 1ton. If youre gonna do it, get a class 6 or 7, with a real bed.

15,000# GVWR is the first thing that pops to mind. Size, parts availability as well as the "stealth" factor also come up as reasons to myself. Only other mainstream class 4 trucks I can think of are the GMC 3500HD in truck or van style as well as the Ford E-450 vans.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
There is no advantage to a Class4 over a 1ton, in my opinion. If you want to pull a load, do it right, plus the larger truck will actually wind up cheaper to buy and maintain.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
So I guess I should sell my F-550 that, in no particular order:

Fits in my garage.
Is readily available with 4X4.
Has hydraulic brakes.
Doesn't require a CDL to drive (I have one anyhow).
Can be registered and insured as a private vehicle.
Has maneuverability 10x greater than any class 6 or 7 truck.
Can be parked anywhere.
Has parts available from any parts store.

And buy a class 6 or greater truck that:

Has a higher initial cost.
Has higher fuel and maintenance costs
Won't fit in my garage.
Requires a CDL.
etc.

I ran the numbers when I purchased the 550 and if J-rod only wants to move 10-12K worth of vehicles so there is no way a class 6 or larger makes any kind of sense. My 550 runs about 16K GVW/45K GCW easily with no problems.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
For his purposes, as stated, very few, if any, of the criteria you stated apply. Class 6 and 7 trucks are readily and commonly available with Hydro brakes, and can be registered as a private vehicle. The brake isues are moot, since he has a CDL, why not use it. As for the higher intial cost, are you insane? Used 2-tons go for well under 5k any day of the week, find a solid F450 or 550 for that that isnt worn smooth out.

For you, the 55o works great, but for an occasional tow rig that will not see DD status, the larger truck makes more sense both monetarioly and practically.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
I agree with above that you should just look into a larger truck. If you have a class B already, then go with something that will tow a lot better and not have to worry about overloading. I have guys asking all the time about vehicles like this. You could even go as far as to buy a used class 8 truck and take an axle out. As far as turning radius, as long as you have a set back axle truck, like an Freightliner FL60 or 70, you will keep the turning radius. Air brakes kick ass when trying to stop a heavy load, and aren't that hard to change. The power that is available is greater with the bigger truck too. Just seems like the logical choice for what you are looking for would be something bigger. Send me a PM, I can answer any questions you might have about trucks. Another thing with the Isuzu is parts availablity and price for parts. They also shouldn't be bought with over 200K on them. They are due for an overhaul about that time. Just some advice.

Erin

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Man the world sure has changed since my college days, I had a RHD 2wd mail jeep and a 900 Kawasaki, most of my buddies had bicycles :confused:

Maintence and insurance on 3 rigs while in school? A couple of times a year couldn't you just find a poor bastard to drive the thing for you for a few bucks

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Dustin Smith said:
Why a calss 4? Its just a glorified 1ton, and honestly you get no advantage over the 1ton. If youre gonna do it, get a class 6 or 7, with a real bed.

F700 Ford

I really Like that truck!, but now if I can find one like it near me, when I decide to buy something.

I like this one too. Allthough after driving and identical truck with a 370 gasser in it for a few days this summer, I know I don't like them. :D But the 5/2 and diesel would probably pull pretty damn good, without being a pain to drive. It also would be really nice to be able to have a bed that long to put a fullsize on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447286187&category=6729

Cheap, but its cab over, and I'm not too sure on renault diesels

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447179230&category=6729

Little smaller, but with cummins C motor in it, it should pull

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447083446&category=6729

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Why not a dually with a 2 place gooseneck? I can't remeber if f350's have a rating of 10k or 12.5k trailer rating but you should be fine. Goofy guys at tech, just don't let mark (think that's his name, cj on 44's) tow your rig. Having a 2 place goosneck set up makes sense to me, for wheeling trips take some one elses rig and get you gas paid for. Also I don't know about you but i think a 4x4 tow rig up here is really handy. When i rolled my junk up in canada i had to get back to a camp with my trailer, i got in there fine in 2wd but getting out it started raining and i'm sure i wouldn't have made a couple hills in 2wd with my heep on the trailer.

BarrelRoll

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I would love to do a dually rig and a gooseneck, but it would put me over 10K trailer weight. Pulling thru 3 states without a class A is really not something I want to do. Plus I think it would cost more to go that route. And as you mentioned, four wheel drive would be a huge asset. Thats why I think a class 7 rig with a truck ont he back would have better traction for hills than a 2wd dually and a goose neck.

And don't worry, Mark won't drive any of my rigs :flipoff2: I was questioning his towing practices before he even left with that load..:rolleyes: 2 jeeps on about a 20' trailer..

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
What about a cutaway van w/a flatbed? I used to drive a ’95 E350 w/a 16’ box, 11,500 GVW. I’d guess you could find one for not too much and flatbed it. The one we had was a 460, real strong runner and managed ~10-11 mpg run pretty hard.

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
You might be right on being over weight, i'm not real sure on what you can and can't do weight wise. I thought some of the newer dulies were rated at towing 12.5k or so which i'm guessing you would be fine on weight. Here's another idea sell your exploder and just get a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck to daily drive/ tow with and then have a wheeling rig.

Good idea not letting mark touch your junk, were having a snow run here the 9-11 of january if you want to come down for it.

BarrelRoll

1 - 16 of 16 Posts