Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to come up with some traction bars for my DMAX and so far I hate how low the typical setups hang down. If I do go with a traditional style, I'll go with ladder and a shackle.

In the meantime, I thought about using something like caltracs. A lot of drag guys use these. Seem like they would do the job and wouldnt be 6' long and 8" under the frame rails.

I would need to come up with a different lower mount as I am spring over with a flip kit.

CalTracs

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
Depends. They do their job well when tuned, but do you need it to flex and ride soft, or is extra firm ok?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I don't see the problem with a typical shackle style traction bar. You're not hardcore wheeling the thing so the ground clearance shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends. They do their job well when tuned, but do you need it to flex and ride soft, or is extra firm ok?
Its a daily driver; decent ride would be nice. I have super spongy deavers on it now with air bags for towing.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
The caltracs are very popular with the drag trucks, including some very fast machines running sticky tires. I've never understood why as the bar runs at such an angle that it just doesn't seem like it would allow the spring to flex well and typical drag race mentality is that it does a lot of good for the rear to squat a little and plant the tires.
I do not see them on many pulling trucks. They tend to run the long ones. But suspension travel is of absolutely no concern on a pulling truck, so that seems backwards to me.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
2wd or 4wd?

Long bed or short?

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I am sure glad that you kept the truck

It is very nice indeed

Do you still have the AAM rear axle? Is it the 10.50 or the 11.50?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
On a side note, how do you like that hitch insert? Do you ever drag the downward facing ball? I've been thinking about one of these but don't know about having something that low hanging down.
Travis..

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I really like my Diversi Tech Hitch. ....pricey, but worth it

Plus, it locks and can't be stolen

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
You'll want a traction bar that mimics the rear shaft, as in its length, angle, and pivot point (front ujoint)

I've seen some that are too short and I really bind things up bad

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
If it's shackled it will be fine. Most traction bars hamper articulation enough that binding the d shaft due to unequal planes is not a big factor.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why 2? It appears that is a shackle/ladder bar kit?
I was going to run one and decided on two. One on each side mounted below the frame, shackle will go where the frame starts to kick up so it's not totally hanging low. I might even mount the shackle through the frame if Im feelin frosty.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts