Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, recently ran into this problem and after a little research I'm still stumped. Simple problem (i think) so I don't think I need to put this in the Newbie 4x4, but correct me if I'm wrong.

About a week ago, around the same time I replaced my brake rotor (broke a lug stud), I noticed that at around 50mph if i barely let off the throttle, I get a vibrate, but if I let off even more to where I'm pushing on the peddle just enough to raise rpm's by like...50, it doesn't wobble anymore.

My two thoughts are this: Either I messed something up when I put the hub back on (new rotor and stud) OR...when I was in 4wd the other day I was turning to sharp on a trail and I feel as if my back wheel probably rubbed against the brakes or something odd and jacked up the back side of the rim.

Thanks to any suggestions. Again, everything I've checked out on these forums and yotatech don't specifically relate to my situation. Feedback would be great!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Damn you said yotatech your gonna get it now...
Dude it's a wheeler a slight vibration is alot better then most rigs..

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Eh I do the same thing I call it my "multi purpose utility vehicle" :flipoff2:
Where does the vibration feel like it's coming from? Rear, front, middle? Haha can you feel it in the steering wheel? Don't say what kinda vehicle your driving, so kinda left ally of details out.. Just a nice long post about "I have a vibration after taking my truck apart/wheeling it, any idea what's doing it?"

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
check u joints

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eh I do the same thing I call it my "multi purpose utility vehicle" :flipoff2:
Where does the vibration feel like it's coming from? Rear, front, middle? Haha can you feel it in the steering wheel? Don't say what kinda vehicle your driving, so kinda left ally of details out.. Just a nice long post about "I have a vibration after taking my truck apart/wheeling it, any idea what's doing it?"
1993 Toyota Pickup sr5 (3.0, 5sp) xtra cab.

Yep, sounds like d-shaft to me!
It doesn't vibrate under load right?
What do you mean 'under load'?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stepping on gas pedal. Does it do it while coasting?
When I press on the gas pedal it doesn't do it until around 46-50 mph, and it's weird because i let off a certain amount and it goes away, but i throw it in neutral and it comes back again. It also happens when I shut the truck off completely at 50mph, so I know it isn't motor related.

It's not even really a wobble, it's a vibration, and the whole cab vibrates furiously. My seat shakes extremely and I can't tell where it's coming from.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i have a 91 excab also on the ex cab we have 2 peace drive shaft unless u swaped it out for single ? i got those kind of vibrations from my carrie barring which holds up the shaft if u can move ur shaft around alot its smoked thier like 70 bucks at napa

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have a 91 excab also on the ex cab we have 2 peace drive shaft unless u swaped it out for single ? i got those kind of vibrations from my carrie barring which holds up the shaft if u can move ur shaft around alot its smoked thier like 70 bucks at napa
Thanks, that seems to be the issue, so I'll look at it soon!

Big difference between Death Wobble and vibration!!!!
Sorry dude! I thought I could relate them :shaking:

·
Registered
161 Posts
their easy to replace you dont need "speacial tools" like the guy at napa says thier cheap to replace when mine goes bad again iam going to swap to one peace

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
their easy to replace you dont need "speacial tools" like the guy at napa says thier cheap to replace when mine goes bad again iam going to swap to one peace
What happens if I don't replace anything and keep driving with the vibrations? Will it get worse/break completely/be undrivable?

·
Registered
161 Posts
also i dont know if ur truck is lifted but mine is sas arout 7 inch lift with the two peace shaft due to it being held up by the truck bed it puts the shaft at a diffrent angle so wat i did is got two longer grade 8 bolts and some big nuts to act like a spacer to drop it down a bit it helped out wit the vibs

·
Registered
161 Posts
yes!!! ur shaft will bust out of the carrie bearing wich could rip ur gas tank or i hear it can flip u over it will f stuff up if it breaks out u want to replace it asap if u daily drive it

·
Registered
267 Posts
vaguely on topic .... any of you see the mythbusters where they tried to poll vault a car by disconnecting the driveshaft at speed :) that was pretty cool :)
a center carier bearing is gona get pretty damm noisy before it lets loose
when I suspect driveline issues I pull the shaft and feel each joint not only for torsional play but for stiffness in each axis (I typed stiffness)
Ive been a tech for 30 years now and I still hate being asked "how long can I drive it broken for"

pull the driveshaft and check it as I outlined ... measure twice cut once..... meaning find out whats wrong and replace the appropriate part ... you may have a bad U joint dont just replace the carrier bearing just because someone else said theirs had a similar issue and that fixed it....
merry christmas
JAK

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is how I fixed the center bearing problem. My first fix was a one-piece d-shaft, after bending three of them I went back to the two-piece.

Thanks, that's awesome! So it looks like the problem is coming at the ujoint connection to my rear axle (end of the shaft). It's all black except part is stripped. Picture soon; not sure if it's normal or not but I do NOT have 150$...high school student :shaking:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts