Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i've been thinking about getting rid of the leaf springs under my YJ, just b/c they're getting to be a hassle....not really in the area of axle wrap so much, as a traction bar is in the works, but just the life of the springs in general...i mean i've wheel without a traction bar, sprung over for about a year..i've got one 1/2 ton main leaf cut to fit as an add-a-leaf in the rear, and 2 in the front...but my springs are still shot...take the center pin out, and the springs just sit there....just bent pieces of metal...so anyway, in a while it'll be time for new springs...but coils have a longer life span...they can be cycled countless times more then leaves before they die...so i was looking through a back issue of JP, and saw this....a three link design, that's quite basic..the owner of the jeep used square tubes, fashioned into an A arm, with two points connecting to the axle, and one to a crossmember between the framerails. then, obviously to locate the axle side to side, a panhard bar (track bar) was used....now what i like about this, is the fact that the square ends of the A-arm are located on standard issue spring perches, with ubolts holding them secure..obviously there's a center pin, or two or three keeping things from sliding around...now the only drawback i can see to this, would be the strength of the heim joint at the top of the A frame, connecting to the crossmember, would have to be of considerable size...poison spyder sells one that uses a one inch bolt, has a 1" thread diameter, 2.75" across, and has a radial load of 76,200 lbs...i think that would suffice....now, my question to all you engineers and fabricators out there is this: does the physics of a standard 4 link, or three link (with seperate lower links) still apply in this case...that is as far as squat/anti squat goes...i feel that when it comes to power transfer, this design should act just like a leaf sprung rig, minus the spring wrap.....if the angles and crap of a 4 link still apply in this case, i'll stick with leaf springs...not really worth my time to think that much...i just know how to cut, get things straight, and weld....but if it's straigh forward, no specific angle involved, then i'll do it...what do you guys think?

regards,
Nathan Hamler.

p.s. i posted this on another forum too, so if you're thinking about flaming me for that, shut up....all i want is a few opinions, and hopefully some facts too....thanks.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,625 Posts
yjweldor said:
p.s. i posted this on another forum too, so if you're thinking about flaming me for that, shut up....all i want is a few opinions, and hopefully some facts too....thanks.

Well, if you don't like the way we do things here, then our opinions aren't for you :flipoff: Don't tell us to shut up for flaming you, on our board n00b. Doesn't work that way. If you've already posted this in ANOTHER forum here, then wait patiently for responses.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not another forum HERE....another forum on the WEB...as in NOT pirate4x4.com.......and how the FUCK do you know i'm a nOOb BITCH!? just b/c i dont sit around a surf the fucking web all day doesn't mean i dont know shit! if you gave a fuck about the original topic, you'd probably help me out, but the fact that you didn't address it, shows me that you're either an ASS, or you dont know SHIT about the topic! so fuck off!

now, to anyone who would like to give me some advice, facts, or opinions ABOUT THE TOPIC, then i thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
hmm from Noob to Noob i wouldnt go telling people on this board what to do specially since your new around here......look all over this board its all flaming and usually in good fun until you take it seriously so just let it go.......oh yeah and if you keep talking like that pick an instrument to play buddy:flipoff2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,813 Posts
Yjweldor,

-what kind of shitty leafsprings are you getting that are not lasting long enough?

-a Heim joint with a static load of 76,200 LBs would be strong enough for the control arms even if your mom was in the jeep.

- you can't just weld some shit up and get a flexy suspension that is road worthy as well unless you are good at guessing. "antisquat and all that crap" applies to any linked suspension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,625 Posts
yjweldor said:
not another forum HERE....another forum on the WEB...as in NOT pirate4x4.com.......and how the FUCK do you know i'm a nOOb BITCH!? just b/c i dont sit around a surf the fucking web all day doesn't mean i dont know shit! if you gave a fuck about the original topic, you'd probably help me out, but the fact that you didn't address it, shows me that you're either an ASS, or you dont know SHIT about the topic! so fuck off!

now, to anyone who would like to give me some advice, facts, or opinions ABOUT THE TOPIC, then i thank you.
Well.. then why would we FLAME you for posting on a nother BBS on the WEB? If you didn't post in two forums on this board, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.. I think you are just paranoid! :flipoff2: But.. you shouldn't be telling us that have been here a while what to do... Not exactly smart.. Dumbass.. You will learn.. Don't insult people in thier home.. Not a good idea. As far as you being a N00B thats what your title says below your screen name..
:flipoff2:
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fullsize80cherokee said:
you can't just weld some shit up and get a flexy suspension that is road worthy as well unless you are good at guessing. "antisquat and all that crap" applies to any linked suspension.
ok, well in this case, what variables can i change in order to get it set up correctly? length of A arm, angle etc...i know those affect it, but are there any rules i need to follow to make this work? obviously there can't be length/angle in relation to the other control arms, b/c there's only one..what about in relation to the frame/crossmember.....would the trackbar affect these variables? also, roadwortiness doesn't really factor in, b/c i'm only gonna do this once it's a trail rig ONLY....but i do want it to be trail worthy, so i need some input about angles/lengths...

Nathan Hamler.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,195 Posts
yjweldor said:


ok, well in this case, what variables can i change in order to get it set up correctly? length of A arm, angle etc...i know those affect it, but are there any rules i need to follow to make this work? obviously there can't be length/angle in relation to the other control arms, b/c there's only one..what about in relation to the frame/crossmember.....would the trackbar affect these variables? also, roadwortiness doesn't really factor in, b/c i'm only gonna do this once it's a trail rig ONLY....but i do want it to be trail worthy, so i need some input about angles/lengths...

Nathan Hamler.
Read the god of suspensions thread a few times. When you are done with that, do some searches on 3 links, 4 links, anti squat, etc.
Looks easy, but 1/4" off on any bolt and the geometry gets f-edup.
And noone knows how to do it perfect, just how to get them to within certain perameters.

After you have spent about 50-100 hours doing your homework on the subject, you can start the design process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,041 Posts
It will behave as a radius arm in the anti-squat areas.

Some things to consider:
With a trackbar to hold the side to side movement, the axle will actually steer left and right with extension and droop. This means if you set it up straight with an empty tank of gas then fill up the rear wheels will point to the left or right, depending on which side you put the trackbar on. On the trail it would probably not be an issue, but on the street could be very bad.

Instead I would suggest doing this to control side to side movement:




Also, I believe one of the large Rodends would be sufficient, or perhaps a 3" Currie Johnny Joint. Check this one out:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
yjweldor said:
not another forum HERE....another forum on the WEB...as in NOT pirate4x4.com.......and how the FUCK do you know i'm a nOOb BITCH!? just b/c i dont sit around a surf the fucking web all day doesn't mean i dont know shit! if you gave a fuck about the original topic, you'd probably help me out, but the fact that you didn't address it, shows me that you're either an ASS, or you dont know SHIT about the topic! so fuck off!

now, to anyone who would like to give me some advice, facts, or opinions ABOUT THE TOPIC, then i thank you.
I'm a schizophrenic, and so am I.:flipoff2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,760 Posts
P&TJeeps
would you please chime in and inform this NOOB of what he is getting him self into

He can supply you with more than enough words (pics to boot) to make you think otherwise.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top