Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its a 1996 Bronco
I just got the tierod on the front left side off(drivers side) and the new one is installed. I need measurements for both sides. I need the measurement between the grease fitting on the tierods, and the edge of the clamp that holds the tierod on.
What should the torque be for the clamps and the tierod stud?

BTW the old tierods measured 4 inches between the clamp and the grease fitting. I just want the correct measurement so I don't have to get a aglinment, and correct my steering.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
701 Posts
CrazyBastard said:
BTW the old tierods measured 4 inches between the clamp and the grease fitting. I just want the correct measurement so I don't have to get a aglinment, and correct my steering.
Thanks,
Mike

cool no payin for alignments! I can just measure the truck down the road :eek: :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
There is no "correct" measurement that is common to all Broncos! :flipoff2:

Just measure the distance between the centerline of the rear of the front tires and at the centerline of the front of the front tires and adjust the front measurement to be approx 1/8" shorter. Do this at ride height.

Don't know the correct torque but common sense will tell you it should be tight enough without crushing things! I would also coat the threads on the threaded portion of the tie rod with never seize so they will always be easily adjusted.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Isn't "align my TTB" an oxymoron?

Yeah, do like Steve said, then pull forward, back up, measure and adjust again, then put the truck nose-down on a hill, measure and adjust again, repeat with it nose-up on the hill, then with the truck sitting on a road crowned to the left, again with the crown to the right......

The easy way would have been to count the number of rotations it took to get the old TRE unthreaded, then put it back on the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts