Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make one longer than 2" but shorter than 5.75"?

I have a little stubby button one, a couple 2" ones, and a couple full length ones, but I really want one in the 3-3.5" range for those times when a full length cap wont fit, but my tungsten is too long for the shorter caps. Somehow I seem to have this issue a lot, and I'm sure others do too. #20 torch BTW.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Try HTP welders. They have a lot of replacement parts for various welders. Real good with shipping and service too.

Carl

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You own no fewer than four back caps but only own two tungstens? One short and one long? If you don't have any well-used spares that will fit in a shorty, why not just break a spare tungsten in thirds and use the shorty cap? If you do much TIG, you should have at least a dozen tungstens to rotate, so you don't have to stop to prep every time you need a fresh one. I purposely take some well-used tungstens out of the normal rotation so I'll have a certain length tungsten if I need a short one for a job.

If you just gotta have an oddball mid-length back cap why not just saw off a long cap with the whizz wheel and put a dab of any non-conductive epoxy over the exposed hole? All the epoxy has to do is seal off a tiny hole and the shielding gas is at a very low pressure there.

I know the epoxy fix works because I have one "slightly shorter than long" cap in my parts box right now. I dropped my torch off the bench one day a few years back and broke off the tip of the only long back cap that I had at the time. I bought a new long cap on my next trip to the LWS, but my ghetto-repaired cap still works fine so I never threw it out. I still use that oddball cap on rare occasions so I can confirm this works and it's a legit long-term fix.

What do you have to lose trying? It's just a $2 part to begin with.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Don't you have a lathe?

Take one of the long ones, turn it down to fit a piece of rubber tubing, plug the end.

Voila, made to fit TIG electrode covers!

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not that I dont own more tungsten, I actually have plenty, but I am a bit of a cheapskate and hate to shorten them just to make them fit a shorter back cap. I also have a couple ghetto rigged caps that I suppose I could re-getto into something shorter, but I was just hoping someone made something the proper length to start with.

It just seems odd that they have little stubby ones, 2" ones and then almost 6" ones with nothing in the middle. Thats almost a 4" difference in length with nothing to fill the gap. Oh well, Guess I'll just make my own.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you do much TIG, you should have at least a dozen tungstens to rotate, so you don't have to stop to prep every time you need a fresh one. I purposely take some well-used tungstens out of the normal rotation so I'll have a certain length tungsten if I need a short one for a job.
If you do much tig you shouldn't need 12 tungstens on standby. I work in a job shop and occasionally get tig jobs. Summer last year I did nothing but RT tig work. By the end of it I typically would visit the grinder two times a day. Once first thing in the morning, and once in the early afternoon because my point had eroded to where it was causing arc wander.

Once they're short enough to fit in a short cap, I do stop using them and save them for those cases when I need a short cap.

If you really want a 3-4" back cap, I don't see a problem with cut & epoxy. As long as it holds your shielding gas back.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I have a book of welding supplies but we don't really get into it except for mig guns or replacement kits.

What I did see for #20 torches was just what you said, 5/8", 1-7/8" or 5-3/4"

Nothing in the 3" range, but saw a 2-1/4" and 4-1/2". Different torches though, #12,17,18 & 26.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I only have only ever had one back cap on my own welder, a 1 1/2". Just always chop my tungsten in half. Kinda wasteful, yeah. I just hate the long cap.

Dallas, what kind of tig machine do you have? I have been eyeing the HTP full tilt model. My old monster works good but I used a friends Dyanasty 200 and it welds pretty sweet, and the size is nice. (a 200 would be on the light side for me tho, i think.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts