Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at Tig welders, want something to help me do the work I want to do on my jeep. I will be doing everything from roll cages, to aluminum. Definitely no more than 1/4" steel I will be welding. Spring pads and what not will be thickest work.

I was looking at Lincoln and Miller. Here are the two that came up in my searches (between $1k-$1.5k)
Lincoln square Wave TIG 175
Miller Diversion 165

Would love soem expertise, and what I should be looking to pay. Was looking at a Lincoln 175 for $1500 with all parts and a rolling tray..... deal? No? Would like input, big purchase.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
A lot of guys are liking the new Diversion 185s, but they're a bit more cash.

Don't be afraid to look at low mileage used units. I bought my Miller Syncrowave 200 on craigslist for $1100 and it looked & worked brand new. Less than a year old. I see deals like that on craigslist all the time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
1/4" puts my Diversion past its limits.It's an ok machine but really wish I had something much bigger and a water cooled torch. I swapped my torch out with a plain 17 size and ditched the funky fingertip control and stiff ass hose cover.

Also added a foot control which helped a lot now all I need is another 50 amps or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your going to need at least 200amps for 1/4" aluminum. Welding tips and tricks did a review on the diversion, and also has a video for adding helium to your gas mixture; this will help you when running thicker aluminum.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Take a hard look at the Invertig 220 or the Thermal Arc 200 Amp units. Good value for the money. Any of the Miller Dynasty welders are nice (I have a 300DX Tig Runner and the 280 is coming out soon). If I had to buy a ~200 amp TIG today it would be the Invertig 220. Don't go cheap on a TIG welder - if you actually use it for different projects you'll soon regret not having some of the more advanced features and/or amperage to do single pass welding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts