Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a tig welder, I've never tig welded before. does anyone know of any tig welding videos?

·
Registered
193 Posts
HTP sells a video about welding that pimps their products but is a decent intro.

Also Rick Russel the Jeep trail guy has a welding video that is based on the Premier Power Welder, the one that goes in the jeep. It concentrates on Scratch start TIG, but is a good intro.

Both of these are fairly inexpensive.

Carl

·
Registered
54,552 Posts
skip the video and enroll in college:D seriously my junior college has every basic welding type out there. imho you will probaly learn alot more that way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There's a great course right near your house. It's called Welding Skills Workshops. The classes are small or even one- on- one instructions. I've taken two courses(one mig and one tig) and can weld pretty okay. It's not the instruction that's lacking but my own personal ability. You learn a ton of stuff and get to weld a lot. My welds look way better than most and they are of good quality(x-ray quality/good penetration) most of the time. They even have both Lincoln and Miller machines so you can see which one you like better. If you want the phone number I'll get it for you. I only have the instructor's personal cell number and I don't think it's right to give that out without his permission. I will say this though, whenever I have a question I call him and he takes the time to teach me both theory and practical stuff. Highly recommend the class. I also bought a dvd on ebay. It was okay but the workshops I've done have been awesome.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
yup, im taking SMAW(stick) and GMAW(MIG) at the local Comm. College and ive learned a whole lot in just the week since we started. actually got out in the lab today and welded for a few hours and my welds are much improved from what they were before just from today. the instructors are very knowledgable and helpful.

ive read two books on basic welding(the Hayes manual one) and one from the "Motorbooks Workshop" called the Performane Welding Handbook and they helped with the basic stuff, but nothings like actually turning on a machine and going at it.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I agree with the people who say enroll in a class. If not spend a few hours with a friend that is good at tig. Videos will get you going, but in a hour someone who knows what they are doing can tell you what you are doing wrong, and you can learn to push a good puddle in a couple hours after that.

A recent thread in this forum has alot of real good "starter tips" in it.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Riverside community college has a nice tig class. i took it last semester and you can burn all the rod you want.
im taking it again for more practice, it starts next Wednesday.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Night classes at the local college will help alot.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I took SBCheros advise and enrolled in a tig class. Had my first call last night. Big thanks to SBChero for letting me barrow his hood and gloves. heres a pic for your enjoyment:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
those look damn good for your first couple times man. i hope to take TIG next semester after i finish GMAW and SMAW this semester...

is that aluminum or steel? looks like Al to me, but that might just be the picture.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Ron, what do you want that for???????? Are you going for looks now????? :D
TIG has fewer impurities and better penetration with less heat...stronger weld.

And it's :grinpimp:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts