Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have firsthand experience on which Dana 44 high pinion HD welded covers fits closest to the ring gear? I'm putting together a '77 F150 Dana 44 axle and '78 F250 outers. My F250 tie rod already has a bump out to clear the factory stamped cover. I can't seem to find and concrete info online about dimensions nor can I get any answers from the "customer support" at the mfrs. The only thing I can find touting any sort of custom fit is Ballistic Fabs cover for the JK Rubi. Jeep Rubicon Dana 44 Differential Cover I called them and still nothing more than "I think it will have the same diff flange as a Ford 44, you can send it back if it doesn't fit".
So what have the rest of you found regarding a HD Dana 44 cover that clears the tierod in the stock location? Luckily the F250 knuckles mount the tierod quite a bit higher than any other knuckles I've seen so it does help by nit being in exactly the widest part of the cover.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ARB just isn't for me. I've seen the 1/2 guards that go over the lower part of the stock cover however I live on the gulfcoast and lapped steel just loves to collect salty dust/moisture and rust out. With all the nasty home grown fab I'm doing on my build the welded diff covers will "fit" the theme.:eek:gre:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Barnett would be very good, however I'm not too keen about the 1/8" steel they use for the shell. I don't intend to go round bashing my axle on tree stumps and boulders but other than the double wall nature of Barnetts' cover I'd just as soon find a factory HD cover for the $$$

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is the one I bought. If you need a tight fit to the ring gear, this is NOT the one to get!! It has a ton of space between the gear and the cover. I'll try to get a measurement tomorrow.
Rubi 44 from Ballistic

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's the differences between the Rubi 44 cover from Ballistic vs the stock stamped version with a typical paper type gasket.

Stock cover to ring gear is around .6"
Ballistic cover to cover is around .685"

I used Play-Do and calipers to determine this You can see the clean spot on the ring gear where the Play-do touched and removed the lube I'd sprayed on the diff to keep it from rusting while deciding on a cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts