Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been helping a buddy of mine with his FJ40 project, which is a little ironic since I don't own one! It's been a learning experience for me as well, but I get stumped often and figured I'd ask the collective wisdom of the board.

He's currently running mini-truck PS but wants to move up to Saginaw since he plans to run much bigger tires in the near future; after looking at some options, he went with the Warden's Saginaw kit. While we were discussing the installation, the conversation went to talk about doing a tilt column while we were at it, and I wanted to ask for your advice.

I've seen and driven FJ40's with mini-truck, Chevy and 60 Series tilt columns, but don't have access to any for a closer look. What's the consensus among those of you that have done it, is any of the three easier/better? We pretty much have access to all three, so I'd rather shoot for a less painless and more reliable installation instead.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had a GM and tore it out to put in a minitruck. I like the mini a lot better for the switchgear. GM switchgear sucks big time. Cheap and cheezy. The wires in the do-it-all switch are very prone to breaking, especially if you use the tilt often. Most often the wipers and the cruise breaks so probably not a big deal in a 40, epecially if you use the stock wiring for the wipers because GM and Toyota switch the power and grounds differently.

Reasons I like the mini truck:
Nice switch gear
Fits Toyota wheels. I have a nice old mini wheel on the 40 and it looks like it's supposed to be on there
Easy to wire. The w/s wipers all work and lots of wires are the same color.
right length of column after the dash
double d shaft was easy to adapt to my Astro Sag box

Drawbacks:
PIA to mount in the dash. It still isn't right and required removal of some dash. The GM column fit in the stock place pretty easy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't have any experiance with any of the other columns so I couldn't comment on them but I do have a GM column in mine and I've never had any problems with the column or it's wiring I even have the wipers wired to the blinker switch like all the newer GM's are (that was a little bit of a hassle I had to use relays to swap ground and hot wires so the slow, high, washer and auto stop would work correctly) it was good fit in the dash and looks like it came that way stock.
I've owned several chevy's including my two other present vehicles and I've never had to pull any maintenance on any of their columns.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not counterdicting you, Butch, just letting you know what I've seen in the field. It is common enough that the switch is pretty widely available at any parts store. I've replaced a dozen or so. There's a real trick to it. Tie a string to the flat plug on the end and pull the old out so you can re-pull the new one or it's really hard to thread it back through with out pulling the steering wheel which requires a special tool to hold a plate down to get the snap ring out. I've also seen a bunch that get real loose and floppy, the cruise button pops out or the stalk breaks right off. It happens with other brands too, I've just seen a bunch with the columns that have that big goofy swiss army stalk on it.
Even so, I'm just not a big fan of the way it feels. It feel cheap to me. The Toy switch gear feels tighter.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I don't use the wiper swich or cruise from the GM, I remove the big wiper switch and JB weld a non switch turn handle in place.
It would be a fuster cluck to try and intergrate the GM wiper switch to control the Toy wipers. I can shoot some pix if there is an interest.
Butch

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oops, sorry Butch. I was responding to Pontiota and misread the poster. Long week already.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ballard
No problem here
I was just giving my opinion and experienses with the GM columns I've been in contact with.
I agree that working on one would be much more difficult that a Toyota sence the Toyota case splits for easy access.
My instulation was made even easier by the fact that I rewired the cruiser with a Painless harness the include the GM column plug so I didn't have to do hardly anything but plug it in then figure out the wipers but I have wired one befor to and its not that difficult to wire into the cruisers harness

·
Registered
878 Posts
Witch GM tilt column is the best (easiest to fit) to use? From a k5, k10, s-10??

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
damn i just put a 60 tilt column in my FJ45 last week, SIMPLE AS

drill two holes in the mounting plate
get the firewall end sorted (i butchered a 40 column) and
wire it up :eek: there is a few more leads than the 40 one ;)

also..... had to cut and sleeve the shaft (trail only, and cheaper than finding OEM parts, althouogh i know which ones to use, they cost around $75 :(

I'll take some pics tonight if i remember and if you are keen!!

:)

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
oh yeah, i got a column from a FJ62 with a grey trim (dont like the brown) and has a really nice steering wheel, which says

"LandCruiser" so its very bling :p

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
BJ On Roids said:
oh yeah, i got a column from a FJ62 with a grey trim (dont like the brown) and has a really nice steering wheel, which says

"LandCruiser" so its very bling :p
Pics, pics pics.........get em'! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used an ididit column on mine. I know they are just a glorified GM unit but with work and all I didn't have time to search the boneyards. Besides I rewired her from nose to tail with a kit from Centech (another story)and it plugged right into the tilt column. I just got the plain steel one and painted it black.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There are several GM column options mine is from a 86 SS Monte Carlo which was also floor shift. Buick's and Olds have several different color options.
I have heard you need to use a column that is from a vehicle that dosen't have a seperate rear amber blinker in the rear but I'm not sure about that.
I think I have a picture also if someone would like to post it for me (to lazy to purchase my red star).

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
As feeble minded as I am, i remembered to take the camera home and snap some pics of this

well i left the camera at home :(

but my girlfriend is picking it up and bringing it to me soon, so I will post as soon as it arrives :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts