Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Doing a Saginaw conversion, this truck is old had the steering box that the shaft goes all the way to the steering wheel, TS did not work, had an aftermarket ign switch no horn etc. I called the customer and suggested doing a GM tilt and solve a bunch of problems in one blow.
I went out to Justin's to fetch an S10 column, and he was out, so I trecked thru and found a good candidate, mid 80's Cherokee, still a GM part.
First step is to set it in the hole and fab up the upper mount, notice the rope to hold it in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The section you see bolted to the column is OEM, you cut the ears off, and fab new ones or it will hang too low. This is raised at least 2" from the ears that were on there. These are 2 sections of angle iron, welded on the OEM bracket

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the firewall side, the rusty section is where I removed the firewall mount that was on here, as you can see it was too far down, I have fabbed a lower mount using the cover that was on the old LC comumn for a template, it is bolted to the firewall on the inside here but not yet welded.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This unit also comes with a pair of U joints, one here, and the other on the gearbox so get the shaft also if you source one, the fat thing below the u joint is a rubber vibration damper, added bonus.

Butch

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
osteology said:
Looks nice, Butch. Now go get some paint and cover up the Jeep logo on the wheel :D
I'll either get a Grant, or a nice Chevy to go on it, although this is a comfortable wheel, if I could find a Toyota emblem to cover that up :flipoff2: :flipoff2: Hell I ought to pull it off and sell it to RockTaxi....... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you get your column, you need to get the plugs that go to the switchs and as much wire as possible.
It's not as bad to wire in as this looks :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One reason I like the GM, this is the ignition switch, lots of switched terminals for running acc. I know from memory the red is Batt. orange is acc. purple is starter, one is hot even when hitting the starter, HEI or ECM feed...
Butch

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This is the Turn signal harness, if you have a pre 73, it's a direct wire in, if you have a newer and are running the stock amber TS on the rear it's a bit different., this system has the ability to run brake lights and hazards thru it if you want to. Plug visible in the background is the W/S wiper controls.

Butch

Attachments

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
One thing I would like to add is that dont worry about getting a column with a key. And DONT pay the dude at the yard to rekey the switch for $60 either. A new ignition switch for my GM column was something like $20 at Napa autoparts. Installing it wasnt hard either.

-Dustin

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Nice one Butch. Is that Mike Nelsons' truck?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
choreboy2 said:
One thing I would like to add is that dont worry about getting a column with a key. And DONT pay the dude at the yard to rekey the switch for $60 either. A new ignition switch for my GM column was something like $20 at Napa autoparts. Installing it wasnt hard either.-Dustin
Actually, what you mean is the lock & tumbler set and they are $16.55, not hard as long as you have a puller and the lock plate depressor, this one had no key.
The switch is the part with all the wires on it.
Butch :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Nice work.

Ditto on the Heep thingy!

Is that the same guy with the grenaded pinion and t-case? :confused:

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
65SWB45 said:
Nice work.
Is that the same guy with the grenaded pinion and t-case? :confused:
Thanks, and yes, I had to get some projects, and ICBM out of the way prior to starting this one.....is the old box I removed one of the kind you were wanting a while back? I spent a lot of extra time removing it intact, I normally sawzall them :flipoff2: :confused:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts