Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after opinions on the setup of this truck. I saw the thing in action in Moab in 1999. I've been out of the scene for a few years and now I've got the time/money to build another truck.

Can't get away with a tube buggy in Australia so I'm thinking of building my Zuk similar to his. What is right/wrong about his rig?

Comments, questions, queries, concerns, opinions....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not too many people here really know Tim. Lot's of comments some good some not so good will be found. But funny thing is those with bad comments I would suspect have never met Tim nor ever really seen him wheel. I would even say most people in the Sammy world really do not have a clue about the impact that Tim Hardy has had in the Sammy world. The fabs he has invented and the wild things he has produced.

If you can't tell Tim and I live in the same area. I have known him for about 10 years or so. I don't see him or talk to him very often these days, as if is tough to get him to answer the phone even returning calls is a tough.

Tim does not have access tot he Internet, nor is he even interested in it. It would be best to just call him at 1-530-622-4887. You will end up leaving several messages before you get him on the phone.

What I am getting at is do not necessarily accept what you hear about anyone, anywhere. It is always best to goto the source and get it straight.

Mike

BTW I was the one you emailed, I just haven't had a chance to respond yet

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Tim was cool and all but I'm sorta after opinions on his rig. I spent a little time talking to him at EJS in 99. He came across as a down to earth kind of guy. From the search I did, some people aint to wrapped in the quality of his work but *shrugs shoulders*

ATM my rig is on 35's but needs a b*dy lift to clear the rubber. I'm removing the lift and doing YJ's and a shackle reversal. I wanna do the guards the way he has.

What are your thoughts on his rig? What would you change?
BTW this is for rockcrawling.

TIA

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
*TIP* If you need to respline a 9" axle shaft to fit a Zuk sidegear, don't use a cutoff wheel on a die grinder....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Gozuki said:
*TIP* If you need to respline a 9" axle shaft to fit a Zuk sidegear, don't use a cutoff wheel on a die grinder....:flipoff2:
that sounds pretty booty

does anyone have pics of tim's zook?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Tim's rig was a head of its time...lower than most, wide for its size and light. His rig is really basic, inboarded spring over with an SR is the basic formula, with lots of ingenious little details. Tire clearance is accomplished with enlarged wheel openings instead of lift.

The rig was essentially a wadded peice of sheetmetal when I took these pics a few years ago. Smart guy, nice guy, but flakey. The craftsmanship of the work he did on my was a solid D-.

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
As you say nice guy met him at EJS 99.

His silver Zuk was a beaut to. Igenious combination of Mustang, Subaru and Suzuki parts with a skidplate made of 100 pieces of metal all welded and polished! Doesn't he make hand crafted fenders for vintage cars?

The silver worked a treat in combination with his trailer to almost win Top Truck way back when.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Is he still a ttc judge i know he was last time i heard

atleast there on zuk guys in there

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man that thing looks even worse than it did (and you wouldn't have thought that that was possible)

Flakey sums him up. I came across him with his Zuk upside down in a hot tub. He was HOLDING a screwdriver into the slickrock and winching off it.

Scwafish: Love your LWB! Didn't it start off similar to Tim's rig???

·
Registered
330 Posts
testing the limits

i wouldnt call that flaky.....ive lived most of my working with what ive had at hand which wasnt much.......
one winter i winched my self out of a ditch useing a dont dig here sign post , it did the job i got out of the ditch , conventional no not by any means , but i did it my self without any help useing what was available and my witts , if thats flaky then i am giulty....

but as most people with zooks know there very light {when biult right} and if you move them just a few inches they will generaly
not be stuck any more

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I remember reading an article about a "4-wheel drive odessy" that Tim and others were on.

I never recalled his name, but I remember the rig.

He was probably one of the influences to me going Zuk.
I loved the simplistic, light wieght, cheap approach.

The bumpers were called "feeler" and made out of thick wall exhaust tubing.

I will soon be getting a tow rig, and then I will be able to hammer mine without worrying about the windsheild frame, and other sheet metal.

I don't care how "Bad" you think you or your rig is. Most of us don't have a clue to the actual limits of our rigs or our ability.
You'll never know unless you push it as hard as Tim does.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
if my rig wasn't turned into a buggy....I really like the look of the fully abuse sheetmetal ,low and large tire...lol...damn maybe i went in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Tim is a character. I like to think of him as Yosemite Sam.. Hell he kind of looks like him. :)

Anyhow, The red rig as I recall has a 1/4 eliptical 3 linked rear, and a shackle reversal front. This is stll a popular choice, and it does work well. Beyond that, you get into some of Tim's creative madness with Subaru berfs and Ford parts, etc..

I remember Tim commenting on the damage to the red Zuk. "Hey, I've never rolled it. Just lots of endos. " I have seen him stick to the sides of rocks on lines that no one else would take. I have seen him compete in rock crawling events, and TTC. He has been in the magazines more than any other Zuk owner.

If you get the chance to wheel with him, you will have a great time. He is a crack up around the camp fire also.

Does his rig work? Yes.

By the way, when that rig was new, it was a real eye popper. It looked great! (I think this is the third Zuk he has slowly killed?)

-Wayne

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have some pictures of him somewhere when they finished up the Ultimate Adventure tour this year. They did an unofficial run out at Independence trail. Tim is the man, and certainly my biggest influence to build my zuk. I've talked to him on the phone hours at a time, and BS'ed with him quite a bit in Moab.

When I found out they were in town I was driving everyone crazy around me because I was so excited. He was running BFG 35" Mts that they sponsored him with. He was saying how he ran them flat to break them in, punctured one when wheeling, and took it to the BFG trailer. He said the techs were freaking out because of what he did to them. I wish

Everytime I see his zuk it gets worse and worse, it's pretty much at the point where you can't dent it anymore lol. I wish I would have kept my zuk full bodied. It was alot cooler to have all of the corners smashed in, and the body sitting low on the 35" boggers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The thing I liked about his setup is that the front and rear were really balanced. At the time, every one was into wheel travel. All these rigs had heaps of droop and very little compression. His rig SEEMED to be at 50/50. It's like when you see a rig twisting and the body is staying level with one of (front or rear depending on setup) the axles. It just looks wrong....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts