Pirate 4x4 banner

1061 - 1080 of 1083 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
^ Curious what you get too.

My 3rz/A340 stock converter barely gets 1500RPM of stall with a brake test. & that's cranking on if for a good while, initial stall is closer to 1350.

I did contact someone at Florida Torque Converters who thought they could build one to get me in the 2500RPM range for $500, just not sure I want to spend the money on this setup.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I read that a 3.0 torque converter was supposed to be in the 2800 stall range but I don't know if that's true or not.

I don't want a ridiculously high stall but high enough that it's not always driving through the brakes. I think that it would match a laggy turbo better too.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I dove deep into the torque converter search & found all kinds of stall numbers mentioned, but that depends on what engine they're behind (& obviously how much torque in makes) What I found was that the 4cyl & 6 cyl converters were exactly the same, only difference being whether they were 20 or 26 spline (with a ~300rpm stall difference between the 2)

What I'd mentioned to the guy a FTC was a stockish initial flash stall, with the higher brake stall, to keep drivability as good as possible, but still let it rev to where it needs to.

·
Shift to the Best
2,326 Posts
....What I found was that the 4cyl & 6 cyl converters were exactly the same, only difference being whether they were 20 or 26 spline (with a ~300rpm stall difference between the 2)
Yes there is a spline count difference but it is not between the 4cyl and 6cyl, I think it is more of a year thing. I have a VZ converter on a RE trans, a RZ converter does not fit my RE trans. No I didn't notice a stall difference, but as said I think it's more of a rating depending on engine, more hp higher stall.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,066
Curious what you guy are getting for a brake stall.
Thats going to be a deceiving number since every engine is going to give you different results.

A good TC builder is going to want to know specifics on your engine, dump numbers, gearing, and drivetrain. I may be incorrect on this but from what I understand stock stall numbers for a TC are generically based off a 8 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,068 (Edited)
Understood, but knowing you have the 22r, & Reds has a 2rz, makes them somewhat similar to my application.
That is true to some extent, but my 22r is now bored, boosted, and at 10.5:1 compression on race fuel.

I may have missed it but why so curious on the numbers?

Never mind, I just reread your earlier posts again.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Research. Trying to find something to get a higher stall out of mine. I've read about everything I could find, with very little good info.

Bored, boosted, & race fuel..... good, should be a little closer to my stock 3rz :flipoff2:

Still way more comparable numbers than a 6 or 8 cylinder (5VZ, Jeep, Supra, etc. I can find people talking about their numbers, but never the RZ or RE stall). So, for instance knowing that most 4cyls are stalling in the 1500-2K range, when a V6 or V8 are stalling at 2500-3K with same converter, gives me a better idea when shopping. Even the FTC guy wasn't sure what he could actually get me to if my stocker was only getting 1500 RPM. He thought opening it up to it's max would only put me at about a 2500 RPM stall.

Second, I might stumble into a combo that works better without going to a custom converter.

Third, maybe some boost is the answer. If you're getting 2500 out of yours, then ~150hp might just be right under the mark of making enough power to force the converter on upward.

So yes, just really curious.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,070
In all my searching around I found about what you did.... not much of anything.

I have been pleasantly surprised with how mine works out of the box so I got lucky I guess. Everything seems to point in the direction of just play around with different TC combos until you like what you find.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,071
And for the 3rz comment.... that’s what my 22rtp was like when it was a junkyard motor on 7lbs.

Not so much anymore..:smokin:

·
Registered
120 Posts
The only numbers that I have found shows the stock 22RE converter around 2000-2200 and the 3.NO at 2800.

I talked to Kenny at PTC today and he said that he could get about 500 rpm more out of a stock converter for only $200.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,073
The only numbers that I have found shows the stock 22RE converter around 2000-2200 and the 3.NO at 2800.

I talked to Kenny a PTC today and he said that he could get about 500 rpm more out of a stock converter for only $200.
And since no one really mods these TQs you will never know if it’s worth it until you try.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,077
How are those axles holding up? Would you change anything?
IMOP the axles have been holding up great. Plenty of crawlin all over and two trips down to Sand Hollow without any incident.

My only issue so far is I did lose a front third. But it wasn’t due to a gear setup, it was a main pinion bearing failure. The bearing was a used OEM and has been in the third since I originally built it and had it under Krunch.

I want rear steer for certain. I would like to not have spools but my options are limited and expensive. I can’t get a Detroit style locker, I’m stuck with a air ARB style. And I would have to buy separate side gears that are broached to accept a 35 spline shaft.

·
Shift to the Best
2,326 Posts
IMOP the axles have been holding up great. Plenty of crawlin all over ..................................................... And I would have to buy separate side gears that are broached to accept a 35 spline shaft.
So looking back would you choose another axle for this build?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,079
So looking back would you choose another axle for this build?
Yes and no.

Yes because...

I already had the thirds
Very few had ever built a axle like this
I wanted to prove my naysayers wrong
I always seem to build outside the box
Drop out thirds
Seem to be strong enough to handle sticky water filled tires running competition type lines
Pinion isn’t super low like a 9”

No because....

No third pinion bearing support like a 9”
Don’t have the option to run a Detroit style locker
Would have been a lot easier and maybe cheaper to just order/build a competition style 9”
Sure would be nice to have portal style axles with 8” Toyota stuff in them. That’s even lighter!

1061 - 1080 of 1083 Posts