Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'13 F150 ecoboost, screw, 6.5' bed, 3.73 rear, max tow

came with P rated 265/70r17 Michelin LTX m/s that are still checking the green box @ Ford during reg maint (9/32" 3weeks ago) and that is with approx 100k Kilometers (62k miles)
looking to replace with Michelin Defender LTX m/s (updated/upgraded over older LTX) in either P or LT.
P defender are rated @ 2679lbs
P current ltx @ 2540lbs

but it is time for new rubber, and we tow the TT about 12% of yearly mileage. interweb pro's all preach LT's, no comparision!
good buddy tows slightly bigger trailer, will only use LT tires, oddly enough talked about being blown around on last trip with it (wdh may have been set up poorly he feels)
we have not had any issue towing the 7k lbs TT on the current P rated tirea, even to east coast & back last year, hills, winds, etc ZERO issues.

I understand the "buffer" knowing they can handle more weight, sidewalls, plies, etc.
but if NO problems thus far, what am I missing? what improvement can I expect, by "upgrading" to LT tires?

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Passenger tires on a pickup? Never tried it, but I've never put a tire on a truck that wasn't a load range E.

Maybe the p's would ride better and get better mileage than LT's especially if you're doing that little towing.

If they worked, why not buy another 4 of the same tire?
No matter what, stay away from cooper/mastercraft.

·
Registered
511 Posts
How is your tire wear and what are you towing? I went from P's to LT's E-range and didn't see any big difference on my half ton.

IMHO the whole P's vs LT's is just people going "BFG's are better than Cooper's". Everyone is going to have their own opinion, some will be based on facts, most will be based on BS logic.

Buy tires for the load you are carrying and be done with it. If you're running heavy all the time, probably should get higher rated tires. If you're DDing 90% time and you're hauling a pop-up, you can probably get by with the P's .

·
Registered
511 Posts
Passenger tires on a pickup? Never tried it, but I've never put a tire on a truck that wasn't a load range E.

Maybe the p's would ride better and get better mileage than LT's especially if you're doing that little towing.

I bought my truck with P-rated Nitto Terra grapplers they were rated to 2756lbs which was more than enough for my half ton. I went with E-rated this last go round because I figured they would handle 5K worth of trailer alot easier than the P-rated. I'm debating on going back to P-rated because I don't think I'm using the extra 500lb per tire that I'm getting with the E-rated tires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would run the same tire you have been. Doesn't sound like you're having issues.

If you were talking about it being unstable or blowing tires I'd say step up.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts

I'm curious about your distaste for Cooper. I feel like I've been hearing them recommended quite a bit lately. Have you had a bad experience?

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
I'm curious about your distaste for Cooper. I feel like I've been hearing them recommended quite a bit lately. Have you had a bad experience?
The only tires I've ever had problems with have been coopers. From what I've seen they have great marketing and enthusiastic dealers. I've had them porcupine pieces of steel belting out the sidewalls and tread, I thought my wife had hit something on the highway till I realized all the wire came from the tire itself. I've had another set that wouldn't hold balance more than 2000 miles. my FIL had a set of 245/75r16 load range E's on a 1/2 ton rusted out silverado that had the tread fly off, one tire at a time. Dealer refused to warranty because he thought they must have been overloaded. There is no way they were ever overloaded in that truck, it would have bent in half long before the tires went.
Talking with people who have worked in R&D at cooper all they do is reverse engineer michelin and firestone, no research on their own.

Just my personal experience but as many tires as I deal with and have owned I'll never buy a cooper tire. I'm sure others have nothing but good things to say.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
T my FIL had a set of 245/75r16 load range E's on a 1/2 ton rusted out silverado that had the tread fly off, .
Had that happen at 80mph on the freeway with the front tire, it came off like a cap. Went back to firestones the next day.

As far as P vs LT, I notice the sway in heavy SUV's when not running LT's.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
quite a few 1/2 tons come with P tires, it's an option to go LT. Even with me ordering a max tow packaged truck, P tires were stock... I didn't think of it when I got it as I figured LT would be OE, same mistake with tow mirrors being an option even on a max tow.

How is your tire wear and what are you towing? I went from P's to LT's E-range and didn't see any big difference on my half ton.
IMHO the whole P's vs LT's is just people going "BFG's are better than Cooper's". Everyone is going to have their own opinion, some will be based on facts, most will be based on BS logic.
Buy tires for the load you are carrying and be done with it. If you're running heavy all the time, probably should get higher rated tires. If you're DDing 90% time and you're hauling a pop-up, you can probably get by with the P's .
tire wear is excellent, Ford rotates @ each appt and they still rate them good to go, which surprises me but efen after asking about new tires they didn't try and sell me on some.

as the original posts said, it's a 7k Lbs travel trailer, didn't mention 28' length though.
DD duty has gone way down since we got another vehicle that can carry all 5 of us (3 in car/booster seats)
so I would say these will see atleast the same amount of towing, but less overall mileage.

I would run the same tire you have been. Doesn't sound like you're having issues.
If you were talking about it being unstable or blowing tires I'd say step up.

this is where I am at, it's just a case of "am I missing out on safety/better towing/something/etc"

only issue for me is the trailer is new last year, before that it was just a pop up (maybe 3k lbs total)
the newer tires are actually rated for a bit more weight, but still not near E tires.

appreciate the thoughts, if I get new tires they will be the Michelin Defenders just deciding P or LT. I've been very happy with current Michelins and these are updated/graded versions, and cheapier/easier to get as they seem to be phazing out the old LTX's here.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had that happen at 80mph on the freeway with the front tire, it came off like a cap. Went back to firestones the next day.

As far as P vs LT, I notice the sway in heavy SUV's when not running LT's.
this is maybe part of my problem. since I've never noticed any problems, I also don't know what it's like to run anything else.

my buddy with same truck but '15 but with LT'd and a bigger trailer said his last trip was scary. crosswinds, passing trucks, etc he was all over the road (admittedly he wanders even when not towing)

tongue weight on my trailer is only 675lbs, other than the family, dog and a few things in bed, it is not near payload limit.
wdh is Husky centreline, set up properly, so my lack of towing, tire, load rating knowledge makes me question what LT tires would do for that P's aren't already.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I think if you were having handling issues you'd know it. Are you comfortable with what you have and feel safe? If it's working there's no need to fix it.....

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Do the people who are splitting hairs about load capacity realize thats at the max inflation? Or do they just look at the load rating, put some air in, and head on down the road?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do the people who are splitting hairs about load capacity realize thats at the max inflation? Or do they just look at the load rating, put some air in, and head on down the road?
true, but from what I can understand;
P ratings should also use a "buffer" for safety. So reduce rating by 15%, that's actual safe load for frequent use.

E rated tires state actual safe load rating, as they are governed (lack of better term) in a different manner.

could be I'm confused

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would say your fine with Pmetrics especially if the new ones have bit more load rating. the thing about the trailer is it doesnt really matter how long or heavy it is its just how much weight is it putting on the truck (tongue weight) for the rear tires to handle.

on the side convo of cooper/mastercraft I have had nothing but good luck with mastercraft from pmetric on 3 toyotas to D load rating on my yukon and cooper roadmaster H load ratings on my old 550

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Nothing wrong with Cooper. They're a good middle of the road made is USA tire.
Except for all the people who have had bad luck with them?

I had 3 out 4 tires separate on a work truck after about 18 months and 25k miles. After that I've talked to at least 2 o3 people who had similar problems.

I'm pretty sure that not all of thier tires are made in the USA, maybe someone else can correct me, honestly I don't care, I would never buy them.

·
Registered
34,184 Posts

I had 3 out 4 tires separate on a work truck after about 18 months and 25k miles. After that I've talked to at least 2 o3 people who had similar problems.

I'm pretty sure that not all of thier tires are made in the USA, maybe someone else can correct me, honestly I don't care, I would never buy them.
Never had a problem with our Coopers. Either set. Neighbor has had three and we all have had excellent experiences.

Imho, however, do not believe p-tires belong on trucks. Period, end of story for me. I'm hey are on trucks only (IMHO) to soften the ride for us soft 'muricans.

·
Registered
498 Posts

I had a BFG AT KO that was a week old have a zipper style sidewall failure and bfg basically said you probably ran it with wrong pressure/overloaded have a nice day. Less than month later I started having the tread chunking and coming apart on other 2 (I replaced the sidewall failure one and one other with michelins). Do you think this means BFG is a bad tire company? I know it made me dislike a tire that I had always had good luck with standard AT's before KO.

I think P metrics are ok for people who dont offroad and dont haul/tow much weight, they are cheaper/weigh less and roll easier normally than their LT counterparts. I personally would not run them on anything bigger than a mini-midsize truck or a street queen 1/2 ton.

·
Registered
908 Posts
If the tires aren't wearing abnormally, handling poorly, or overheating than they're doing their job. A heavier tire will carry more weight but only to the extent that the wheels will support. A common mality of "upgrading" to heavier tires is a rough ride which is often compensated for by running lower tire pressures which can lead to tire failure (Firestone/Ford Explorer debale of the 1990s). If you like the ride etc of what you have, nothing wrong with keeping them.

I have had Coopers on everything from my Honda Civic DD to my fullsize van, 4wd Ranger, F350 DRW, Isuzu Troopers and Rodeos, etc and never had any problems. My Ranger gets about 65k miles on a set of Discoverer STs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts