Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching and trying to find the best way to go about this, I have to replace my timing chain guides for sure and I know to get the metal backed guides, no question there, but when it comes to the chain itself, I'm at a loss. I just replaced the chain and guides about a year ago (went cheap with the plastic guides) but there is only about 15K miles on the chain......my question is, do you think I will need to replace the chain or just the guides, will the chain have stretched out already since there's not that many miles on it?? If I do need to replace the chain should I go OEM, DOA, LC doublechain conv., or what?? Thanks in advance for any help
Jeff

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
replace it all, if the guides broke the chain probably stretched. besides, why go to all that work just to do it again later. a good chain (not the cheapo you bought :flipoff2: ) should last a good 90,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the replies and I figured I might as well do the chain also but then my question becomes....should I do OEM chain w/DOA metal Guides, DOA chain w/their Metal guides, or spend the extra money and do the whole LC double chain conversion...I plan on keeping this rig for a LONG time and am not planning any motor swaps......
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
another problem is the tensioner itself.. Most of the cheapys use a plated shaft on the tensioner and the plateing starts to flake off and they bleed off real quick and don't pump up as fast wich makes it rattle on start up too.. Get a quality kit.. I like the ones from http://www.engnbldr.com/

kit come with a steel backed guide on one side and it seems to be a decent kit

·
Registered
351 Posts
Get the metal guides or make them and an O.S.K. timing kit. All the components are made in Japan, just like your Toyota was to start with.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
soopatoy said:
go with the LC dual chain
Is this kit REALLY worth the extra $ ?? Pat, the only thing I'm hesitant about with the engnbldr.com kit is only one metal guide....
Jeff

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
the other side hardly ever breaks.. that side of the chain never has slack in it.. For the money it is a good kit.. I would not spend 450.00 for a duel kit .. something is wrong with that as far as I am concerned.. And to buy a kit from Doa Is what ???200.00??? Sounds to me if you get a quality kit for a decent price it is the way to go for me.. I don't mind changing the chain every 125,000 miles... Hell I never keep a rig 25,000 miles:D

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well maybe I'll see how much the OEM kit is since I can get it at cost (I work at Central 4 wheel drive) and then compare that price w/the DOA guides to the engnbldr kit.......Oh and Pat, I wouldn't mind changing the chain every 125K miles either but when I just had it done about 15K miles ago and it's already out again....there's a problem!!
Jeff

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
With engnbldr's kit and always running a factory/napa gold filter you wouldn't have to worry about it for a very long time. Been running an engnbldr.com kit for about 50k and the guides are barely grooved.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
KING K5 said:
Oh and Pat, I wouldn't mind changing the chain every 125K miles either but when I just had it done about 15K miles ago and it's already out again....there's a problem!!
Jeff

thats what I am saying about a Quality Kit;) you buy crap you get crap

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think the LCE kit is well worth it... probably one of their 'less expensive' items.... When you consider all that you get (chain, guides, tensioner, oil pump, water pump, new cover), and the fact that it will probably go 250k+ before it needs attention, it's a no brainer. Do the math.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
My Math says ..... $60 to $75 bucks for a good single chain kit every 125,000 miles... equels $150.00 for 250,000 miles.. oh wait.. $30 for a water pump.. so that puts me at $180,,,, well i will just round it to $200.00:flipoff2:

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
The way I see it is,, If some ones is going to keep there truck forever and they don't want to ever work on it,,, and the timing cover needs replacement and the water pump was bad.. then it is a no brainer.. it is a nice Kit

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pat said:
The way I see it is,, If some ones is going to keep there truck forever and they don't want to ever work on it,,, and the timing cover needs replacement and the water pump was bad.. then it is a no brainer.. it is a nice Kit
Well my water pump is only about 5 months old, I don't know if I need the timing cover yet but I do plan on keeping this rig for a VERY LONG time......hmmmm......decisions, decisions......
Jeff

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Since you get OEM at cost I bet an OEM kit but using DOA or Engnbldr guides would be the best value.

I went with DOA guides with an aftermarket kit almost 3 yrs ago and everything is still great.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Those cheap aftermarket water pumps are not worth MY time

Spend the money on OEM for sure

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'll second my original suggestion of the O.S.K. kit w/ DOA guides or make your own. EVERY piece is made in Japan, including the plastic guides that come in the kit. I got 75k out of the last kit without the metal guides, and it's all still there. Pulled it to rebuild and replaced again w/ OSK and DOA guides. I think the quality of the kit is as close to OEM as you're gonna get aftermarket, and I'm a firm believer in factory parts... but the dealer I went to at the time would only sell the timing parts seperately, totalling over $650.00.

The only way I'd go with that dual row LC kit is if I was building a badass 22re stroker or something... then it'd still be cheaper to go 3.4, 4.3, or threefitty.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I called today and got my price on OEM parts, and yes they are all sold seperatly, not as a kit and it still came to like $300 at my cost..... :rolleyes: I think I just may go O.S.K. w/ Doa guides and be done with it.......
Thanks for all the help and opinions.....
Jeff

1 - 20 of 40 Posts