Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I was wondering if I could ask for some help?

I have a High Angle Driveline E-Brake on my 2 speed Atlas and it is a nice solution but it really has never held enough for my liking.

I am using the above mentioned brake with a E-Brake handle from my ZJ. I was wondering if anyone had some rules of thumb for setup, basic successful parts list or any other suggestions is setting one up?

I have though about doing late model calipers and e-brake backing plates on my 14 bolt but I would rather get this working than spend more money on more parts.

Chad

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Do you have a picture of how it's set up? It's possible the cable isn't pulling at the most advantage. You want the cable to be pulling perpendicular to the lever arm to get maximum clamp force.

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
It takes a good solid 2-1 pull ratio to make it grab well - Do you have a picture of the type of lever your using ? Jess

·
Premium Member
4,238 Posts
Hey Jess,

I have been meaning to call you also regarding this. I had been using the foot pedal from a 90's bronco and that worked great, but I am building a new rig now.

I thought you gave me some non-lokar options a few years ago when I got it. Do you have any recommendations for a junkyard hand lever style ebrake that applies enough pressure?

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Don't use a toyota lever or Sami - there both 1-1 - but many others are good the foot pedal units usually give enough also , If you have a hard time finding one , We have a few surplus adjustable pull mounted levers left .

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have to find a photo for this. I have a feeling my setup would be considered a 1:1 ratio.

Are than anyways to get to a 2:1 ratio?

Chad

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
i used a TJ ratcheting e-brake handle. seems to clamp pretty tight. I havent had a chance to park on a hill with it or do a front dig, but i couldnt budge it with a cheater bar once it was clamped.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i used a TJ ratcheting e-brake handle. seems to clamp pretty tight. I havent had a chance to park on a hill with it or do a front dig, but i couldnt budge it with a cheater bar once it was clamped.

I really like this. Get rid of the cable and the coresponding stretch. My ZJ handle is just like your TJ one.

I am using a universal cable from McMaster similar to those found here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#push/pull-control-cable/=hho6y8

I am not sure what specs though for it has been so long since I installed it.

Chad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts