Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I got some pimp rings from copperhead fab and some cheap steel wheels, is there a technique for welding these on as to not warp the wheel? should I grind an angle into the rings so there is a nice gap to fill with weld? what about welding the backside?
I was thinking of tacking them all the way around, then just filling the rest. or should I do an inch here, an inch there etc?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
tack em in to hold them then go about an inch or so long bead and jump around. (12, 6, 3, 9 etc.)
try and let them cool a bit.

i did this on my h1 rims (inner and outer) and had no problems. i was tig welding them but event then just jump around.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you weld the backside too? if not how should I seal the back of the ring to prevent rust from getting under the back of the ring?

·
Read Only
1,334 Posts
I tacked mine very lightly and welded the whole wheel in a single pass, did 4 wheels and measured the runout on each and found very little to be concerned with after burning them in hot. On another set the first wheel I did 6 inch passes and found that where I overlapped the starts and stops of the welds were slightly more bulky and took more to clean them up. If you were to do passes 6 inches would definitely not warp the wheel.

·
Registered
299 Posts
the less stops in the welds the less likely you will have leaks... there is alot of mass (most rings are 1/4 ) so it will take some heat to make the warp.. but it could happen. i did a set for a friend and i tacked them in 4 places and then got all set up so i could weld half way around the rim and just swaped rims till i was done and they came out tits .................but you can weld a 12 inch stringer on one side of a piece of 2 inch plate and have it warp ...... metal does what it wants :p

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Mine where done on a rotisserie. When you pull the trigger on the gun it starts spinning. Needless to say they were done in one pass. No warping but had some leaks that a small amount of silicone sealed right up.

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
He seems to be talking about rock rings, not Blocks so im guesing leaks are not a concern.

I welded mine in about 6 passes per wheel, I alternated sides after each pass and have no issues. Clean it well and burn it in hot, no need for lots of wire.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah they are just regular rock rings, not beadlocks. Im concerned with the backside. should I just lay on some thick paint after? or seam sealer on the back?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
just paint her up. i painted mine after and just shot some paint in behind the rings. it should be fine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
yeah they are just regular rock rings, not beadlocks. Im concerned with the backside. should I just lay on some thick paint after? or seam sealer on the back?
If it is just a rock ring, you probably couldn't even get a welder in there to weld the inside. Just paint it.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okey dokey thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts