Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting the tires mounted up for the ftoy tomorrow, and was wondering what others are using to balance the tires. The tires I'll be running are 39.5-17 IROKs.I want to be able to run down the dirt roads at a decent speed, but haven't had much luck with any weights mounted outside the wheel. I have heard of people running water (which I found a thread on, and it didn't sound positive), also of people using shot or (I may be smokin my socks here) soft pellets as a internal balancer. Any thought from the guys who actually run these?

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
umm your joking right?

Water or steel shot is for more weight down low to help with climbs and off camber. Going fast gets pretty exciting running it.

I personaly don't know anyone balancing their tires unless its a street rig.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was actually planning... Not balancing at all. But I thought I'd see what others were doing.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I even read something about golf balls, Tried it with some 36" iroks and still felt unbalanced. Did make some funny sounds when I came to a stop always whooshing around in the tires :laughing:

·
Registered
569 Posts
2000 air soft pellets in each tire.. =9.4 oz
worked on my 36's, my buddies 38's.. ect.

·
Registered
417 Posts
YO, Ive run 150lb of lead shot in the fronts and it worked, on trail rides it sucked, now its h20 half full in the fronts, air in the rear. Hope that hlps, sam

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Since you said balancing tires vs running them full of water for COG changes.

There are several products you can buy, Equal ( glass beads) Dyna beads ( ceramic beads) These are small and will allow the tire to balance out faster then golf balls or water (use antifreeze prevents rust.) The air soft pellets seem to be the bead of choice as they are big enough to not come back out when airing down like the commercial products and work well. BB's rust unless you use NI to fill your tires. Lead shot is doable, but to heavy as the inside of the tire is not all that smooth and you a specific volume and weight to balance the tire out.

I putting on some new 38" this week and Air soft BB's will be used:grinpimp:

FYI if your running tires and have a warranty you might stick with a commercial product "made" for this purpose.

Edit.. Heres 5,000 count .2 gram BB's for under $10 at Walmart. Thats works out to 250 grams for each tire. or just under 9oz

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I run airsoft pellets and steel BB's in my tires on the Ftoy. They work fine for the trail rig and balance out good enough. I also run the same setup on my Rubicon w/35's and beadlocks and it works ok. The balance will be lost when you hit a bump at speed since the weight is shifted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts