Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, you all know (I think) that I used to be with Goodyear.

That being said, let's say that I want to go bigger in tire size, 33 or 34, but even at cost I can't afford MT/R's.

What other brands would you consider? (Adam, don't say swamper)

Dunlop, Pirelli, ? Any real world suggestions?

Must be ok on the street, as I sometimes drive 3 plus hours to get to a trail/camp trip, but very little mud duty. Mostly limbs/rocks/water crossings.

j

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
red - i think it's going to be difficult to find a 33/34 under $150 a tire that has a decent enough side-wall to hold up to the rocks out there.

i hate to say it, but i think you'd be better sticking with a good set of 32's than to get a cheaper set of 33/4's. I can't see where the extra 1/2" of clearance is going to make up for the difference in sidewall and tread quality over your existing MT/R's.

also - unless you're talking about bias-ply swampers, most radial sizes in something close to 34" are going to be pretty wide so that leaves you realistically with 255/85's. anything wider and you're going to find a renewed interest in the sawzall.

the closest thing would be interco's trXus light truck mudders, but as larry can tell you, folks have had varying levels of success with those things.

dunlop rt's might fit the bill, but i thought they had a relatively weak sidewall.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have been running the Trxus for about a year now and haven't had any probems. I believe they are 8-ply?? I like them a lot and they do a great job on the moss covered rocks in the southeast.

Oh yeah they only cost about $114 each for 32s

Brad

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
what makes you think i would say swampers?

i say buckshot mudders, ive seen them work really well and they come in a nice P-78-16 size.

sure, they arent radials, but the swampers on the range rover really arent that bad on the road, most of the vibration is from the front driveline shaking itself apart. yeah they will be a little loud, but its an off road tire.

the P78s are 33x10, good size for a mildly lifted range rover. they cost $130ea.

plus, assuming that your tires arent worn down to the belts you can always use those for the longer trips and throw the off road tires on the roof rack.

if you want to look at a slightly wider tire but in a radial, then i would look at the buckshot Maxxis Mudder. it is not quite as aggressive as the bias ply mudders, but they still look pretty mean and are cheap at $115ea in a 285/75R16

·
Registered
278 Posts
General Grabber MT's(I run 235/85 R16 ~32") awesome in the mud and rocks. I can drive through red muddy clay, idling slowly and the tread is clean in about a cars length out of the mud hole. Took them to Moab and Colorado aired them down to around 13-14 on stock rims and didn't blow a side wall...pinched them pretty good a couple of times. Very pleased with their performance. I have friends with MTR's and I 'm not impressed for the price. Especially when the Generals cost $95.00 a piece and that's for a 16" tire. I covered over 30,000 miles on the first set and the still have over 1/3 tread left. On my second set now. The only fault with them is if you beat'em hard your likely to loose part of a lug now and then. you have to balance them after every trip to combat this or your tire will get out of wack. also the size selection sucks. my 2 cents

·
Registered
494 Posts
My brother has a set of Maxxis Buckshots on his 90 and I am not very impressed. They are quite on the road though. the Maxxis didn't clean very well, and they don't have anything on the sidewalls.

Brad

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, I have no lower quarters now, and I have 5" of lift, hell I'd do 35's if I could afford the difference in cost.

I think the 32's are sold, so I just have to shiat out the difference. My frickin other house sale fell through, so money is tight again.

If I did 33's they would be 12.50's so that I could go over more, instead of going between stuff.

34's would be 10.50 at most.

j

PS,

I would still be able to get the others for cost. However, COST on a MT/R is around 140.00. Just so you know, Discount and Tire rack buy by the pound, not the tire.

j

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
5"! i missed that - shit man - don't you have a fairly short commute? Stop procrastinating, get some equal and throw it down for 34.10.5 interco LTB's -

$116.95 + $65 shipping from desert rat.

realistically, is your wife actually going to drive a 5" lift truck on any kind of tire? Are you really going to care?

fact is i'm pretty ignorant regarding this stuff, but i don't think you want to try and run something as wide as 12.5" tire on the stock alloys.

on a set of meaty 34's and that lift, you're upgrades will be done for a long time.

fwiw -

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
landrover108 said:

yea, except for axles ;)

:flipoff2:
The rears are in, the fronts, well the cv will break first anyway. Plus there all getting cryo'd soon

The wife actually drives it a lot (when it gets driven). We don't really use it for a commuter. We bought a volvo wagon (super cool 4 link coil rear with a panhard) for a do it all car (easier for the dog to get into, plus more room). so commuting isn't it's bag. Especially at 12 mpg around town. (3.54 gears are good for something)

I definetly can't afford rims right now, so 35's are out of the question.

j

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
a friend of mine runs 33x12.5 SSRs on stock range rover rims, they fit fine.

the worst aspect of going to 35s is the gearing, on the highway it sucks, you end up kicking down a gear on the slightest of inclines- say goodbye to your gas mileage.

you dont want 34-10.5 LTBs, they only spec out to about 32.5" tall so you arent gaining anything.

check out wal mart for prices on 35x12.50 MTRs, i know that their 37s are only like 165ea so the 35s must be prety cheap and you stay with your favorite brand of tire (nothing wrong with that)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
What Old Scout said...

My 35" Kumhos weren't THAT bad. For the price they were actually pretty decent. However, they are the loudest tire I've ever driven (including Good Year Xtra Grip XMOD 750X16s - nothing in comparison to the Kumhos' howl)

After messing around with my Michelins I think they are the ultimate expedition tire. Super heavy duty, very good traction, not too noisy, and the size is very easy to live with on a rover. Of course you'd probably get better traction on rocks with some more expensive tires, but these are usually quite cheap and they work well in my opinion. Someone on this board has some for sale!

They are also pure bolt on as far as wheels go - they'll fit you bone stock rangie wheels perfectly. They are radials and basically bulletproof. Not super flexy but they do flex. No need for deep offset wheels as they aren't very wide, if Adam's RR gets away with a q78, you could run these in a heartbeat.

Or, why not just save the bucks and buy some MTRs? I know it's tough when you want tires right now, but sounds like the Goodyear fits the bill perfectly.

J-L

In Kahootz with the michelin man.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I could sell you some Dunlop Mud Rover, 255/86/16's that have about 1500 miles on them.

;)

I actually like these tires. I don't know much about the sidewall on them, or actually on the R/T's I have too. But, I do know this, that the R/T's in Moab and in Oregon have been wonderful. Haven't had any problems with sidewalls or anything (yet, I know).

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
OK, I know I'll get flamed for this, but what the hell! :flipoff2:

I've been running Yoko Geolander AT Plus II's for almost a year now and love them. They are great in everything but the stickiest mud. They work really well in rocks, although they do have a thin sidewall. I paid $110 per tire for my 285's, and that included free replacement or repair, regardless of how the damage was incurred (includes use off-road). Got them from my local Discount Tire. They measure out to a full 33", and are wonderful on the highway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts