Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a couple of swing out tire carriers for the Jeeps. I am not really crazy about using a "toggle clamp" to latch the tire carrier. I have noticed on some of the Smitty built stuff, they use a aluminum lever and slotted key-way for a latch. I don't know if this is something that I would trust????

I am leaning toward using a vertical ACME threaded rod and hand-wheel. Basically a speedy screw to tighten and hold the carrier closed.

Anyone have a better idea for a latch or closing device???? :homer:

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Cam locks are what I like, I can't remember the vendors name however.

·
Newb
3,124 Posts
Fwiw, my wife's jeep has a smittybilt tire carrier that has a lever for a spring loaded, vertical "pin" that goes into a square slot to lock it. The damn thing rattles HORRIBLY! I've adjusted the snubber but I can't stop the rattle AND her be able to open it. It drives me nuts but she likes the bumper so... :shaking:

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
I bought a synergy setup. Haven't installed it yet but it looks like it'll be great

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I used this setup when I built a carrier for a buddy of mine.. I think he got the latch from McMaster or something like that. It works well and not rattles, just used a bumpstop on the bumper and then one on a tab under the arm to support it. It can be done cleaner I was just working with limited tools and material:

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Destaco clamp. Google it. They make lots of neat clamps

I'm sure there are other brands too. Toggle clamp

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.

Keep your ideas coming, they are really appreciated..
The Poison Spider latch looks really nice; obviously an automobile door latch. I don't have access to a brake or plasma, it would mean that I would have to brow-beat the folks at PS for dimension and piece parts. I will keep this idea on the short list.

I am building the carrier on top of a 2"X5":3/16" bumper. The bottom rail is 1.5"X3" 3/16 HREW tube.

I am trying to look at the Proto Fab stuff; but their web site is sort of wonky at this time. :smokin:

·
TBD
623 Posts
Acme nut welded to back side of bumper, handle welded to acme thread. Simple and effective.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ACME

Acme nut welded to back side of bumper, handle welded to acme thread. Simple and effective.

Ding, ding, ding, ding....
That was my first idea. Have you tried it? Does it work it self loose? I am thinking 1/2"-10; is that big enough? How did you keep the threaded rod captured????
I am also thinking of installing a bullet shaped guide pin.

I glad that someone else thinks the same as me.

Pictures????:smokin:

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
The Poison Spider latch is a commercially available door latch that can be had from several sources. I posted the info on it in one of these threads about a year ago, maybe more. You can also use a normal, junkyard door latch and striker pin, just don't get a cheap plastic one from a little import car. An adjustable bumper made from a bump stop can keep it tight and rattle free.

I've never liked the "T-bolt and welded nut" idea. They do work, but I have seen several come loose, one on the highway. If that was due to wear on the threads or from ignorance of the owner, I can't say. I just can't get myself to trust a setup like that. Plus everyone on the trail knows when someone is opening a carrier like that since 9 times out of 10 the threads are rusty and squeal and groan as the bolt is loosened. :D

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
This is how CBI does theirs. It works well, just a PITA. They have a small stainless lanyard that ties it to the bumper so you don't lose the handle, which makes it a PITA

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Protofab has a pretty badass cam latch on their WJ rear bumper. I'll snag some pics, maybe a video in the morning. It's downright stout, it's even greasable!
They stopped selling the latch à la carte, too many people distorting it installing them self and then saying a defective latch was sent

1 - 17 of 17 Posts